upstairs bathroom into sump pump

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by ysobored25, Apr 30, 2005.

1. ysobored25

ysobored25 New Member

Hi all,

I currently have an upstairs bathroom sink pvc line draining directly into the basement sump pump. The previous owner didn't want to fool around with the cast iron that fed directly into the sewer line so he went the other route of directing the pvc to the sump pump. Can anyone give an opinion if this is dangerous or not correct. I don't want to overtax the pump.

Thanks
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

I doubt that would ever pass an inspection...I think you should fix this.
  3. nothing new

seen much worse, people dumping their laundry drains into the sump pump

that went ouit into the back field.......

it would be nice to change it someday, but being probably only a few gallons of water a day with toothpaste and mouthwash ect going into it its not a critical problem... put it on the something to do list

but on the bright side, the sump pit probably smells "minty fresh"
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

pump

If depends on where the sump pump is discharging. If it is connected to the sewer system, then it was a dumb idea, but it will work. If it goes into the yard then it was both a dumb idea and illegal.
  5. illegal things

Once, on a farm, we ran into a situation where
    the old farmer just installed a large drum out into the back yard with a pipe off of it going down a few hundred yards away to the
    "gulley" ---- small stream.

this was his version of a septic tank.....

it had basically been dumping raw sewage out in the back 40 for years and years.

Basically it was a trash heap with cars ect laying in it, you didnt hardly notice any smell.

Eventually they wanted to sub divide the property.

when the inspector did a sewage tank inspection, things got real ugly.