Universal connection

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by hilliap, Feb 2, 2008.

1. hilliap

hilliap New Member

Hi...I'm stuck! I decided to put in a new shower valve, and my buddy gave me a deal on a Grohesafe EF valve (35.253.00) with 'universal connection' for the hot/cold inlets....

OK, I'm fairly new at this....what is a universal connection?? The inlets have 1/2" male threads...but not sure what female connector to get.

Any help would be appreciated!
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Try a piece of 1/2" pipe and see if it will fit inside the opening. Many are made so you can solder a pipe to it directly, or use the threaded fitting. If you solder it, remove the cartridge first so the heat doesn't damage it. Same procedure is needed - clean and flux, then heat the fitting (in this case the valve body), not the pipe. Because of the mass, it will take awhile to get it hot - this is where a MAPP gas torch can help, but is not essential, just faster.
  3. hilliap

hilliap New Member

Thanks...that worked!