Universal connection

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by hilliap, Feb 2, 2008.

1. hilliap

hilliap New Member

Apr 1, 2006
    Hi...I'm stuck! I decided to put in a new shower valve, and my buddy gave me a deal on a Grohesafe EF valve (35.253.00) with 'universal connection' for the hot/cold inlets....

OK, I'm fairly new at this....what is a universal connection?? The inlets have 1/2" male threads...but not sure what female connector to get.

Any help would be appreciated!
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Sep 2, 2004
    Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    New England
    Try a piece of 1/2" pipe and see if it will fit inside the opening. Many are made so you can solder a pipe to it directly, or use the threaded fitting. If you solder it, remove the cartridge first so the heat doesn't damage it. Same procedure is needed - clean and flux, then heat the fitting (in this case the valve body), not the pipe. Because of the mass, it will take awhile to get it hot - this is where a MAPP gas torch can help, but is not essential, just faster.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. hilliap

hilliap New Member

Apr 1, 2006
    Thanks...that worked!