Undersink hot water heater is semi-clogged

Users who are viewing this thread

Mazcar

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have an Insinkerator instant hot water heater (it has a small stainless steel tank). It has progressively gotten to where it now sputters and sporadically flows its hot water out.

A few months ago, I removed it and flushed it out with tap water, shook it around, and got a lot of crud out from it. Pretty much, I did what this guy did:
http://www.stevejenkins.com/blog/20...ter-heater-with-low-flow-fix-it-with-a-flush/
It got a LOT better, but was still not to 'new' standards.

Should I just keep flushing it out every six months? I'm always afraid of creating a leaky o-ring or damaging a pipe.
Should I clean it with vinegar? If so, will I get disgusting vinegar flavored coffee forever?
I think getting a new one will put me in the same situation in about a year. So that's out.
Would a water filter help? Sure, a whole-house filter would be great, but that's too pricey. Would a small undersink filter work?

Thanks!!

PS: It is this model. Apparently, I must have been feeling rich when I bought it. Sheesh.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_248349-712-H-WAVESN-SS_0__?productId=1172613

Last edited by a moderator:

Mazcar

Reaction score
Tell us about the crud (color, consistency).
For the most part, they are little white salt granule sized white bits. Some chunks are bigger, though. I assume it is calcium. For the not most part, I have seen some small black flakes.

Also, per Insinkerator, the water heater is connected to a tee at the cold water line.

Thanks, again!

Reach4

Reaction score
There are packets of coffee pot cleaner that are citric acid based. Those are not the strongest, but least likely to give a flavor.

I would go to something stronger myself. C L R or phosphoric acid, and then just rinse a lot. But I have read that C L R can be hard to rinse out.

Try searching for Descaling solution for espresso machines in your favorite search engine. Saeco, a maker of espresso machines, sells packets of powder to use in cleaning. It is citric acid based.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks