underground toilet rough in

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by King3244, Mar 7, 2005.

1. King3244

King3244 New Member

I am installing a new toilet in my basement and am doing the rough in. I have some problems with space, can I use a 3x3x3 tee y on its back rather than a y?

My gut tells me no but I am hoping that I can.

King
  2. Plumber2000

Plumber2000 Plumber

More info is needed, and no if you are asking to tie the toilet riser and flange off of the tee with tee on it's back, then no you can't do that, pictures would be of great help.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2005
  3. RioHyde

RioHyde Plumber

The only place I know of where you can lay a tee on its back is in Kentucky. That may have even changed. If theres a KY plumber out there, I'd be curious to know if this is still the case.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

fitting

What is your definition of a T/Y? If you mean a combination Y-1/8 bend then it is a proper fitting in a horizontal line in any orientation, but if you are that tight, then you may not have room to install a proper vent for it.
  5. King3244

King3244 New Member

Thanks for the input guys.........I managed to rework the lay out and got it done with a Y. It was one of those deals where it was infinitely harder but..... easy is not always the best way.

King
  6. RioHyde

RioHyde Plumber

well ya know what they say King....if it were easy anybody could do it. Conga-rats.
  7. Plumber2000

Plumber2000 Plumber

King,

Only question I have is where does the other inlet on that wye going to of used for?
  8. King3244

King3244 New Member

Plumber 2000, the other end of the y is going to another to new toilet. I put a y into the main drain then y'ed it again with each going to a toilet which are back to back. (bedroom bath and a 1/2 bath).
  9. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

toilets

You are getting vents in there somewhere aren't you, and in the correct places, not just the easiest places to put them.
  10. Plumber2000

Plumber2000 Plumber

King,

Can you post a diagram showing the pipe layout, want to see if you have the vents for the toilets done correctly.

Last thing you want under the slab is it done wrong, and you start having problem when your ready to use them.
  11. King3244

King3244 New Member

Hey guys, I have no way of posting diagrams but I have each line vented seperately between the toilet flange and the respective Y. They are 1 1/2 inch vents that are then joined together at a Y and then the vent goes vertically up into where my wall is going to be. From there I am going to circuit vent to my existing vent which of course exits the roof.
    The vents come off the drain line with a 3x3x1 1/2 tee. I tried my best to use a 2 inch vent underground but did not have the room.
    I have a buddy who used to be a plumber and he said it should be fine.
    Comments?
  12. King3244

King3244 New Member

Back again. I was just looking at your diagram Plumber 2000 and it is set up like your right hand diagram and then the two are joined together to exit the underground.
  13. Plumber2000

Plumber2000 Plumber

Here code says min 2" vent for toilets, if you had that inspected good chance inspector would have turned it down.