Underground PE run problem

Users who are viewing this thread

wujohn

Reaction score
Hello,

I had a contractor run underground PE (10' run) for a firepit and he has run into a challenge. At this point I want to double check options and will likely be calling in someone else to correct this issue since he essentially screwed this up. The contractor used a flexible transition to get the PE connected on either end of the firepit/gas line from the house. However it appears that he did not allow for enough PE in the transition to get a good compression fit (please see the pic). Interestingly before this was buried it had been pressurized to 15lbs for a number of days until I could get the city inspector out to approve. Once the concrete was poured and he went to hook the line up to the house, we could not keep the pressure - after taking apart the transition he/I can see that the PE appears to not be long enough to get a good fit. I need some suggestions on how this can be repaired without having to dig up the concrete and re-run the gas line.

**note that there is one short plastic sleeve missing from the pic...just FYI.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

-John

Attachments

• PE.jpg
    PE.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 246

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
He fxxk'd up. Clearly there is no way to make this work w/o major surgery into the concrete.
If you want to be covered for a legal claim against the contractor, California contractor's license law requires you to allow the contractor to correct his mistake (at his expense, obviously) first. IF they do not cover all the repair costs, you do have a legit. claim.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I cannot imagine how it could have happened, IF the riser was not taken apart while the concrete was being poured. BUT, here we have to use a formed anode riser and the PE is connected to it underground. The PE cannot be run closer than 18" to the surface and NOT above the ground where it could be damaged.

Last edited:

wujohn

Reaction score
The city inspector came by and signed off on the method this contractor used - I know that the riser contains some sort of flexible steel and has a protective coating. I understand that this riser might be somewhat new and that typically you'd use the riser (or something similar to the one) HJ mentions.

The contractor was able to get this sorted out however. He trimmed the plastic sleeve (not shown) that sits between the lip of the long metal insert and the rubber gasket and was then able to get a secure fitting to tighten everything down without any leaks. I am not totally happy with the the way things turned out everything looks OK now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks