Two new water heaters - rattle sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Tom Andrews

Reaction score
I'm having a real hard time with this one: I recently replaced both water heaters in my house at the same time (both are Whirlpool 40 gal. natural gas).

Right away we noticed that whenever a hot water valve is turned off (sink, shower or washing machine), there is a short but noticable rattle coming from inside the wall (directly behind the water heater).

I tried draining the the water from all the house pipes to ensure the air chambers weren't water logged but to no avail.

Any ideas what could cause this?

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds to me like :
you have a piece of solder that got flushed into the pipe at the time of installation . VERY HARD to get out without cutting pipe

or

A hanger/strap came loose and when the valves/faucets get shut off the pressure (up or down) is shaking the pipe.

You might be cutting the wall either way.

Sorry,

Cal

Got_Nailed

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Semi off the main subject but with 2 water heaters do you have a expansion tank. With the mention of air chambers it looks like you have had a problem with water nock witch can be made worse with high pressures because of water expansion.

I don’t think this will help to much but it could solve a your current problem. It will solve problems down the line that you don’t have yet.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
rattling soundsin whirlpool heaters

depending on where the rattling
sound is comming from

you might want to check out the tops
of the heaters to see if their are check
balls inserted into the nipples.... they will rattle