Twist a joint after soldering?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by wheaty, Jan 18, 2013.

1. wheaty

wheaty New Member

I'm a novice at this stuff. I soldered the male side of a 1/2 inch "street 90" connection into the 1/2 inch female opening of a washing machine valve. Just after I'd finished and it had just begun to cool I noticed its position wasn't quite what I'd had in mind. So I reheated it a little and twisted it (about 5 degrees) to the position I wanted. Is there a problem in doing that? Thanks for any advice.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Probably okay...if you had run water through it, you would have had to remove, clean, then resolder. It can help to daub a little more flux on the joint when reheating one that's never had water go through it along with a touch of additional solder to help it reflow.
  3. MACPLUMB 777

MACPLUMB 777 TROJAN WORLDWIDE SALES RP

No if you hold your tongue in the right place
  4. wheaty

wheaty New Member

Thanks both. Tongue was held correctly. This saves me some worry.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

I usually apply a dab of solder to the connection after reheating it.