Turning my garden tub into a shower

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by texasmom, May 10, 2011.

1. texasmom

texasmom New Member

Hello everyone,

I live in a double-wide mobil home, and have a big corner garden tub and a seperate very small shower.

I am disabled and on a fixed income, so I need to know the best but cheapest way to turn my garden tub into a place where I can take a shower. There are 2 mirrors that go from the top of the tub to about 48 inches from the celing.

I think there is some kind of black material that you use as a moisture barier but I dont know what it is called. Is that necessary, or is it already in place behind the mirrors?

I just want to find the easiest way to do this without messing anything up.:confused:

I would appreciate any ideas from anyone here. As for the shower curtian rods, do they make rods that are curved seeing that this tub is in the corner and it would have to connect to one wall and curve to connect to the other wall.

Thanks for your help
    Lavonda
    Texas
  2. texasmom

texasmom New Member

come'on guys and gals..... a little help here.....Please
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

There may NOT be a "cheapest" way. You will probably have to use a "two curb" base, and then prepare and finish the walls properly, which will mean removing the mirrors. You will also need to install a glass "corner shower enclosure" because a curtain will be hard to fit to it.
  4. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

You could find a fabricator to make a shower rod to go around the entire tub perimeter. That's about as cheap as it will get.

The only sure way to make it right would be to tear it all out and start over.
  5. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple Bathroom Design & Build - North Vancouver, B.C.

Your pickle is one shared by many in North America.

Could you send us some pictures so we can work on a solution? info@byanydesign.com

Some line drawings and room dimensions will help.