Tub to Shower Conversion

Users who are viewing this thread

Vince B

Reaction score
I have a standard 30x60 fiberglass tub and I originally was going to do a 32" width base but decided to go with a 34" which will now bring the base out to a 1/2" from the end of the drywall that has a metal corner bead. Will this pose an issue for the install in any way? Should I just keep it 32"? We will also be having vinyl planks put in afterwards over the existing sheet vinyl and I am concerned about the trim and baseboards in that corner location as
well. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Bath 1.JPG
Bath 2.JPG

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I dont think its a problem you do have to think it through even with a 32 inch pan

Vince B

Reaction score
Yes, you are correct. I almost forgot that there is the existing tub flange to deal with. So I guess the question is it better to stick with the 32" or is it better to go out near the end of that wall with a 34". That's the big question!

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
is it a full fiberglas shower or just a pan with tile on walls ? I would expect a bit more reveal with the 32 might be a tiny bit easier but on other hand 2 more inches in the pan might be nice

Vince B

Reaction score
I know this is probably not want you want to hear, but here goes. It will be an Onyx base then 3 custom cut acrylic walls.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
It looks like a flat slab that has a slope to the drain. You will want to make sure you have a tiling flange of some sort that is glued on REALLY well. Most manufactures offer that from the factory. We just set an MTI pan and had them install a flange on 4 sides leaving a bit open of the door.