Tub/Shower Neindecker Valve Replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

DavidM

Reaction score
I have an old Niedecken valve in the shower/bath that was dripping. Long story short, one of the supposedly removable valve seats won't budge. I tried an easy-out and some pipe break and only succeeded in making the leak worse. So, now I am thinking about replacing the valve. Is this a do it yourself job? There is no access from the back so I would be going through the tile. Should I use another Kohler valve or does it matter at this point?

Thanks for all your help - I think I'm into more than I hoped for.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Neidecken

This is an easy one.
If I remember correctly, and if you haven't screwed anything up, you need an 11/16" socket to remove that seat.
If the valve looks good, why not get the two new seats and that yoke assembly with the pistons and cover gasket. They should come from Kohler and are easy to install. Use some silicone grease and your in business........

kohler-niedecken-parts-4.jpg

kohler-niedecken-service-parts.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Neindecker

they are a pain to fool with......

never had any good luck with them,
even trying to find that
socket to replace those seats was fairley difficult.....

get the parts and see what happens.....

maybe you can buy yourself some time...

but you will most likely be changeing it out to a DELTA....

niedecken-mark.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Neidecken

Mark, they are easy, I carried that socket in the top of my tool box. We had a lot of the Neidecken in our area. They would go years and not need attention, but when it did and all you had to do was replace all of the inside parts. Ten or fifteen minutes.............

DavidM

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the comments. I started with the socket wrench and one of them came out fine. The other wouldn't move. So I put it all back together, but the leak was coming from the one that wouldn't move.

So then I got the "easy out" reverse thread extractor and some liquid wrench and basically ended up dilating that "removable" seat so now it leaks about 10x worse. The good news is I can turn off the water to just that shower - so we are OK for now.

I think I've got to replace the whole mixer body at this point.

Is this a DIY type job - I have to go through the tile - no back access. Any reason to stay with Kohler at this point or can/should I switch to another brand?

Thanks again

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I don't know if you can salvage that valve, but if not, you should be able to use most any valve. Many of them have avaliable a "rework" eschution that is larger than "normal", to cover the larger hole you may need. You may not, just depends on how things are layed out.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
If you can't get the seat out, it's better to replace the whole faucet.

Most of the guys like Delta and Moen.....

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; is it an easy DIY job or do i need to hire a plumber to do it?

Some DIYers can build a complete house and others need an instruction book to change a light bulb, so where you are on the 'abilities line" would determine whether you need a plumber.

munkyboi

Reaction score
yes
- replacing lighting fixture
- repairing and refinishing furniture
- repairing and replacing toilet components
- replacing sink faucets

no
- build a house

quote; is it an easy DIY job or do i need to hire a plumber to do it?

Some DIYers can build a complete house and others need an instruction book to change a light bulb, so where you are on the 'abilities line" would determine whether you need a plumber.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks