Tub/Shower Combo Drain

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by tfratzel, Jan 20, 2005.

1. tfratzel

tfratzel New Member

I'm replacing my existing tub (with tiled walls for shower combo). The existing drain and trap are 1 1/2". Should I keep the 1 1/2" or replace both with 2" horizontal drain and trap?

Thanks in advance for all the great help everyone has given me so far.
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

tub

2" would be better because it is almost twice as large as 1 1/2", but how would you increase the size of the fitting where it connects to the main system? You cannot reduce back down to 1 1/2" at that point, the connection would have to be increased to 2" also.
  3. tfratzel

tfratzel New Member

Right now the 1 1/2" drain connects with a wye to a 2" horizontal that goes into the main vertical stack. Sounds like i should just replace the old 1 1/2" with 2" into the 2" horizontal.
  4. Plumber2000

Plumber2000 Plumber