Tub overflow cover screw problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Bradleyjm

Reaction score
I am trying to replace my bathtub overflow cover and I have found that it has 3/8 24 screw rather than the standard 1/4 20. Does anyone know where I could get an adapter to make 3/8 24 hole take 1/4 20 screw?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Look at it this way...if you tried to put a threaded sleeve in there, there would only be 1/16" on either side, and it would not work. You could put something like a helicoil in there, but only if there is enough meat to be able to drill and then tap the existing hole to accept it.

Reach4

Reaction score
I am trying to replace my bathtub overflow cover and I have found that it has 3/8 24 screw rather than the standard 1/4 20. Does anyone know where I could get an adapter to make 3/8 24 hole take 1/4 20 screw?
I have a feeling that it is not the cover. If that is the case, I would consider drilling holes in the cover to pass 3/8-24 screws.

On the other hand if it is the cover, and the holes are too big, can't you find an oval head 1/4-20 screw that does not fall through the hole? If not, you can use a dress washer.

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
No. If you really need a new overflow cover you will need to determine who made the overflow to match it up. We have run into similar problems where the final solution was to replace the tub waste kit with a new one.

Reaction score
I actually did this today on a 65 year old tub. It is something I rarely do, since most DIY homeowners can tackle this. All the parts are available at any big box store.

The tub's overflow cover is purely cosmetic, and does not do anything to fasten the tub drain assembly to the tub.

You will see that the cover screws onto a horizontal retainer plate that actually does the fastening, this is what pulls the overflow elbow tight to the tub, sandwiching the tapered overflow gasket. This retainer plate appears to come in all shapes and sizes differing between manufacturers, but they all do the same thing.

This plate can be changed WITHOUT the need to change the entire drain.

Sometimes this adapter plate will come with the aftermarket overflow cover, but nevertheless you can certainly install any overflow cover without reusing the old screws and screw holes of the old one.
191_186_2-Overflow%20and%20Drain.JPG

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks