tub and toilet smell

Users who are viewing this thread

Plumb-dumb

Reaction score
I have a story home which has a full bath on 2nd level and toilet and sink on first floor. One problem is if I fill the sink in the upstairs bath and then drain it, water comes into the bathtub usually with black debris and other mess.

Second issue is whenever we run the bathtub or take a shower, BOTH bathrooms smells like outside sewage. I do have a sump/ejector pump in basement that's used only for the laundry tub and outside drain that comes into the house. NO floor drains as the main seem to have been sealed. Any ideas? Located in Chicago

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Plumb-dumb said:
One problem is if I fill the sink in the upstairs bath and then drain it, water comes into the bathtub usually with black debris and other mess.

Second issue is whenever we run the bathtub or take a shower, BOTH bathrooms smells like outside sewage.

The first issue is likely coming from a clogged drain line somewhere. The upstairs water drains into the tub because some kind of restriction is keeping it from passing on by the tub and going out to wherever ... and your second issue is quite possibly related.

Someone is going to have to clear the drain line on the downstream side of the main floor bathroom.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
Get a pro in to check your lines for clogs - seems like you have a partial obstruction after the sink drain joins with the tub...
When he is there - ask him about venting...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks