Trouble with 1" nipple onto 1" 200 psi poly tubing

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by grizz, Jun 16, 2012.

1. grizz

grizz New Member

Jun 1, 2012
    I'm having a little trouble trying to fit a 1" brass nipple onto my 200 psi poly tubing. Is it ok to heat up the poly tubing with a torch to get the fitting on? The tubing is blue on the outside and white on the inside. If heating is ok, should I heat both the outside and inside of the poly tubing?
  2. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Feb 6, 2011
    Information Technology
    NW Ontario, Canada
    I use a heat gun and make it just hot enough that it still takes effort to get it on.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

Dec 28, 2009
    "retired" and still building and troubleshooting
    northfork, california
    Agreed - and good effort. If it gets too hot it de-cross links and later you get a lost pump. Hot water is best, but even a hair dryer will work. Use GOOD clamps, 3 and install them while its still warm - retorque them a bit later with a nut driver, not a screwdriver.