Trouble Shoot Sump Pump running

Users who are viewing this thread

sirius days

Reaction score
Can anyone help me trouble shoot my sump pump?.
Brand: Hydromatic Age 3 years (replaced after 4 years)
Float switch: Separate switch, this is the 2nd one
Check Valve: replaced 3 years ago.

Here are the latest symptoms, some of which baffle me because maybe I don't know exactly how sump pump works.
Major symptom: pump is running constantly
Details: If I unplug both units then plug both piggyback plugs in, the pump will run, drain all the water, until I hear a gurgle as it reaches lowest level. The pump DOES not shut off at this point but continues to run, BUT no water is being drained.
If I repeat the process by unplugging and plugging back in I get the same results (pump drains water, then runs with no draining) same results whether I use piggyback plugs or pump alone.
Questions are: 1) If pump is running in on mode wouldn't it constantly be lifting water?
Is this just a symptom of the bad float switch or check valve or pump or ALL?

If I need to replace this unit what do you recommend? has anyone used the electronic float switches?
thank you

Reach4

Reaction score
Details: If I unplug both units then plug both piggyback plugs in, the pump will run, drain all the water, until I hear a gurgle as it reaches lowest level.
Is one unit the pump and other unit the switch? If so, the switch is defective or set wrong.

I used an electronic switch that worked great, but I think it is no longer available. When the water touched a wire that you placed, the pump turned on for a timed interval. There are switches with separate turn-on level and turn-off level probes.

I think this works with a timed interval. It has 2 float switches for redundancy.
https://www.basementwatchdog.com/basement-watchdog-universal-dual-float-switch/ I would consider that one. I would also consider the LevelGuard.

There are various switches that work well for people.

Last edited:

sirius days

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.. your post made me realize I forgot to ask. Do we think my actual pump is still good? I don't want to go through expense of buying a new switch $75-100, then find out I need a new pump too.
I looked at those electric one, I am definitely considering it if that is the route I should go.

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.. your post made me realize I forgot to ask. Do we think my actual pump is still good?
You plug it in, and it pumps. It is the job of the switch to make it not pump if there is no water. There is no failure of a pump that would cause it to keep pumping once the switch cut the power.

This is not to say that you should not put in a new Zoeller pump just in case the old pump could soon worn out. In an ideal case, your sump would be big enough for two pumps for redundancy. There may be room to add as smaller battery-backup pump.

sirius days

Reaction score
You plug it in, and it pumps. It is the job of the switch to make it not pump if there is no water. There is no failure of a pump that would cause it to keep pumping once the switch cut the power.

This is not to say that you should not put in a new Zoeller pump just in case the old pump could soon worn out. In an ideal case, your sump would be big enough for two pumps for redundancy. There may be room to add as smaller battery-backup pump.

Thanks, so to be clear, the details I provided where when I first plug it in and it drains all water , gurgles at bottom but then KEEPS running and NOT draining anymore water, is how the pump is supposed to operate? (minus the constant running part)
I was just concerned there was also something wrong with pump since it stopped draining water. Please explain. thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks, so to be clear, the details I provided where when I first plug it in and it drains all water , gurgles at bottom but then KEEPS running and NOT draining anymore water, is how the pump is supposed to operate? (minus the constant running part)
I was just concerned there was also something wrong with pump since it stopped draining water. Please explain. thanks.

That is how a pump works. If there is power, and there is no water above the pump's intake, it gurgles.

With a piggy-back plug on the switch, the switch cuts the power to the plug. When the pump gets power it pumps (or gurgles once the water has fallen). The pump is not getting a signal that it must act on. The pump pumps when there is power. The switch turns the power on and off.

sirius days

Reaction score
That is how a pump works. If there is power, and there is no water above the pump's intake, it gurgles.

With a piggy-back plug on the switch, the switch cuts the power to the plug. When the pump gets power it pumps (or gurgles once the water has fallen). The pump is not getting a signal that it must act on. The pump pumps when there is power. The switch turns the power on and off.

Just to be clear it... gurgles when it reaches the bottom, then continues to run (BUT NO WATER is being pumped) the pit fills up with water again. The only way to drain it is to unplug and plug back in. then it will drain and continue to run, but pumps no water after it gurgles.
So given my description are you saying this is NORMAL? Just checking...

Reach4

Reaction score
Just to be clear it... gurgles when it reaches the bottom, then continues to run (BUT NO WATER is being pumped) the pit fills up with water again.
That's does clarify your situation.

1. Clearly the switch is bad.
2. Why does the pump then fail to pump water? I suspect becomes "airlocked" ("air locked"). You will want to drill an appropriately-placed hole (3/16 typically). Try to angle and position the hole where water spraying out is not directed to a problem place.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks