Tricks of the trade on removing caulk

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by chefwong, Aug 3, 2012.

1. chefwong

chefwong Member

Jun 14, 2006
    District of Columbia
    I'm running a new caulk line around my new vanity sink/countertop.

The kitchen, redone a couple years back, while I would not call it mouldy - is a undermount, with a negative reveal. Have been stringent on wiping the area down, etc but if I SHINE a flashlight source on it, it does look a lil grimey. I'm considering removing and recaulking. Not looking forward to the removing but we'll see if it comes off in 1 piece or will there be bits and pieces stuck on the sink.

Any benefits on running a heat gun to it to heat it as I in theory pull it out in 1 strip. I plan to just score a line with a Xacto knife and the take it from there..

I've used my Fein with the caulk remover tool on tubs, but I'm also working *overhead* with a exposed view of the joint, etc with great sucess
  2. Hairyhosebib

Hairyhosebib New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Your theory sounds great. It may just work. If it does not, go buy a bottle of something called LIFT OFF in the paint section of a Home Depot or other store. Amazingly this stuff will melt GE SILICONE II pretty quickly. I consider the GE stuff to be a really good quick setting product. Their white does not cure as quickly.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement