Tricks of the trade on removing caulk

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
I'm running a new caulk line around my new vanity sink/countertop.

The kitchen, redone a couple years back, while I would not call it mouldy - is a undermount, with a negative reveal. Have been stringent on wiping the area down, etc but if I SHINE a flashlight source on it, it does look a lil grimey. I'm considering removing and recaulking. Not looking forward to the removing but we'll see if it comes off in 1 piece or will there be bits and pieces stuck on the sink.

Any benefits on running a heat gun to it to heat it as I in theory pull it out in 1 strip. I plan to just score a line with a Xacto knife and the take it from there..

I've used my Fein with the caulk remover tool on tubs, but I'm also working *overhead* with a exposed view of the joint, etc with great sucess

Hairyhosebib

Reaction score
Your theory sounds great. It may just work. If it does not, go buy a bottle of something called LIFT OFF in the paint section of a Home Depot or other store. Amazingly this stuff will melt GE SILICONE II pretty quickly. I consider the GE stuff to be a really good quick setting product. Their white does not cure as quickly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks