Tree roots frequently clog drain line

Users who are viewing this thread

gpdewitt

Reaction score
I live in a 43 year old townhouse condo, where my main (cast iron) sewer runs past a tree in the common area which frequently clogs the line with roots. Problem is, I get no warning it's gonna clog until my guest bath toilet overflows. The toilet is the lowest open drain in the house. Since I'll never be able to remove the tree and since rooting out the line several times a year is getting expensive, I was wondering if there is some kind of overflow tank or system I could install and keep an eye on? Any other tips on keeping the line open, short of replacing the line? Anyone had success with lining the pipe?
Thanks in advance.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Have someone treat the line with Root-X once a year and it should not reoccur until the time comes that it will have to be dug up and replaced...

Root-X is a foaming root killer that works...you must follow directions...It is best to do it right after the roots have been cut but will work any time...

You may want to check your contract as many times anything outside the condo is the associations responsibility...

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Rid-X

I like this guy. "If it ain't at the cleanout then we check the septic. If that ain't it we dig up the whole leech field. Cost, 6000 grand."

Forget them camera inspections, waste 'o time. The whole thing gots to go.
Wonder if he has rooter in his name¿ :D

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Ideally your main sewer should only need rodding once every two years. Thats how long we guarantee our roddings and it works out very well for us. Tree roots need to be cut out on a preventive maintenance every other year just like having to cut the grass every other week. If it is clogging up more than once a year, there might be a defect in the pipe, or the person doing the cleaning is not doing a proper job. When we get a recall I re-rod the sewer and run a camera down the line to see whats going on down there. This way we all are better informed on what the issue is.

Root-X is a very good aid in slowing the root growth, it does need to be applied once a year, and you need to use enough product to ensure your whole sewer service is been properly treated. Root-X tells you how much product is needed for your size pipe and length.

gpdewitt

Reaction score
Thanks Sewer Rats and Cass. The association makes availalble once-a-year rooting at bulk rates, a measly $40. I was shocked when I had to pay $280 for the same service on an individual basis.
The roots are the responsibility of the association, but it could be argued that I didn't maintain the line if cracks or holes are found in my part of it. In any case, I'd rather not get into a legal battle costing much more than the 30-40 feet of pipe would.

KINGSOTALL: I think you replied to the wrong post, you don't make sense to me.

ANYONE: any experience with lining pipes with resin and cloth? Is this a durable alternative to digging up the pipe? Seems worth a try, especially since it's less expensive.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Thanks Sewer Rats and Cass. The association makes availalble once-a-year rooting at bulk rates, a measly $40. I was shocked when I had to pay $280 for the same service on an individual basis.
The roots are the responsibility of the association, but it could be argued that I didn't maintain the line if cracks or holes are found in my part of it. In any case, I'd rather not get into a legal battle costing much more than the 30-40 feet of pipe would.

KINGSOTALL: I think you replied to the wrong post, you don't make sense to me.

ANYONE: any experience with lining pipes with resin and cloth? Is this a durable alternative to digging up the pipe? Seems worth a try, especially since it's less expensive.

Relining is not less expensive. Get a few quotes. The city of Naperville has been relining homeowner sewers to help stop infiltration of ground water. It stands up well.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Oh, sorry I just hijacked this thread to post that commercial. Saw it this morning and had to post it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks