TOUGH ONE: creating waterproof seal within quartz tube

Users who are viewing this thread

jshab

Water Wizard
Reaction score
SP9nFZo.jpg

Hey all! Lovely forum you have here. I'm thankful you're all here to help us poor schmoes with our tricky questions.

This one's a real head scratcher. No one seems to have a good answer.

I'm an inventor, and I'm trying to turn this quartz tube into a sort of specialized "water filter" that will involve UV light and other tech. It's meant to be an item that will improve health and well-being of anyone who uses it. The tricky part is creating a seal on both sides of the tube, both of which will allow water to go through a hose adapter of some sort.

The inner diameter is 1 11/16", outer diameter is 1 13/16". Length is almost exactly 12".

I want to attach this to a kitchen sink, so there will be moving water and pressure in this little guy. I was considering using silicone caulk of some kind, but I'm afraid that the pressure inside will either push out any sealants I use, or make them leak over time. Seems like it'll be a little slippery on the inside. Though I'm no expert on the strength of silicone caulk.

So I just have two questions.

1) How would you create a seal on both sides, one of which has an adapter for a hose that will attach to a kitchen sink? The other side will house an adapter for a hose, or just a hose by itself (where the water will come out). This will have an open/close valve so water doesn't leak out randomly.

I might have to pour a bunch of caulk in around the adapters, hope it all holds in place, but then I'm unsure how I'd do this for the other side.

2) Which adapters/hoses would you recommend for this purpose?

When I figure this out, I'll show you guys the completed project. Should look pretty impressive. If anyone knows a good approach, I'd be incredibly thankful!

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I ran into something like this several years ago. Customer had a water filter/purification system that included a quartz tube like the one in your picture. It allows the passing water to be blasted with UV rays to kill all the uglies in the water. The tube is incredibly fragile and did not survive my first attempt to install it. Second time, with much more care, it worked. The tube sealed to the ends with O-rings. Didn't look like it would work, but it did.

jshab

Water Wizard
Reaction score
Incredible advice, guys! I'll give both of these a try on my next free day. Thanks a ton.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks