TOTO Ultramax CST 854 Toilet Pulses once or twice after it fills

Users who are viewing this thread

Susan Smith

Novice, Homeowner
Reaction score
Hi,

I just replaced flappers on both of my one piece, UltraMax, Elongated toilets, purchased in 2007. My city water is highly chlorinated, especially as I live near our sewage treatment plant, so I thought that might have been the reason that both toilet's flappers had disintegrated. Also, I noticed a huge amount of black silt in the tanks, likely as a result of Sandy. Anyway, one toilet does not pulse, the other does, but did not before I replace the flapper...with a Toto brand flapper.

Two questions. The silent toilet's flapper was replace by my handy man. I did the one that now pulses water. They look identical, but my handy work has a tighter feel on the flush handle, sort of more resistance and it feels like the handle range is smaller. Could it be as simple as I need to lengthen the chain? If not, could it be caused by say the gmax cap, as an old post in 2007 by "tnedb" suggests, that seems like a job for a plumber...?

Please advise.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
You're plenty competent to replace a flapper.

Can you give us a little more color on what you mean by "pulses once or twice"? You mean right after it fills it goes woosh woosh? Or you mean that, say, an hour later, it starts refilling itself?

Likely you are already properly-diagnosing the issue and it's something like the chain. Or you need to clean your fill valve and it has nothing to do with the flapper. Let us know and we'll try to help.

BTW, tell me more about the flapper you used. You have the ultramax CST854S? (Not the "Ultimate" just plain ol' CST854, right?) If so, and you're using the Toto flapper from Toto, you wanted to use either the TSU331S, TSU138S or TSU175S flapper. The TSU331S is functionally identical to the Korky 2021BP ("Fits Toto") Flapper (it may even be exactly the same flapper because Korky makes flappers that Toto installs in its toilets). So you can also use that 2021BP flapper, available at Home Depot or your local hardware store, in your Ultramax. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Korky-3-in-Toilet-Tank-Flapper-for-Toto-G-Max-2021CM/202666003 Toto is now coming out with a harder PVC flapper, which I'm not sure I like as much as the Korky. You can also use the Korky Universal 3" toilet flapper in your Ultramax. http://www.lowes.com/pd_166789-868-...pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=korky+flapper&facetInfo=

Reach4

Reaction score
My city water is highly chlorinated, especially as I live near our sewage treatment plant, so I thought that might have been the reason that both toilet's flappers had disintegrated. Also, I noticed a huge amount of black silt in the tanks, likely as a result of Sandy.

Not related to your question, I would add a Big Blue 4.5x20 inch filter for whole house (not hose faucets usually) filtering. That uses a standard sized filter that you can select per your needs. Change the cartridge probably once per year. Many would also suggest something to remove the chlorine.

wjcandee has the info that is relevant to your post.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks