Toto Promenade 1.28 or 1.6?

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by brucet99, Aug 8, 2012.

1. brucet99

brucet99 New Member

Toto Promenade is the only high version with round bowl, so it will fit in the same tight space as the poor-flushing Wellworth it will replace. So the only choice left is 1.28 gpf or 1.6 gpf?

There is no rebate in my area for going with 1.28 flush. There are only two users, so the extra water use of 1.6gpf would amount to about 2 gal per day.

Since the bowl and tank are the same for both flush rates, it seems to me that the 1.6 version, running 25% more water through the same trap way, should be less likely to clog than the 1.28. Toto spokesman's answer to my question was, "We designed our 1.28 gpf toilets to perform as good or better than a 1.6 gpf." If he's right, then it's better to save the 2 gal per day.

What say you?
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

All of the reports thus far on 1.28 gpf Totos are positive. There seems to be no difference. Toto is coming out soon with .8 gpf toilets that reportedly will also function just fine. I think the thing that many folks just don't realize is that Toto engineers are working very hard to design low flow toilets that work. They don't just tweek the old flush valves or add some fancy pressure tank to the old designs. I believe I'd go with the 1.28 model.
  3. BobL43

BobL43 DIY Senior Member

I can only speak for the 1.6 round bowl Promenade I installed in my new bathroom several months ago, which I purchased for the same reason (smaller size) and its traditional styling.
    We have had absolutely no issues with it
  4. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

Seems like the "official" testing tends to show that they technically flush a little less with 1.28.

In the real world, however, most people say that as a practical matter in actual use by most people, they don't notice the difference (probably because they are not flushing a toilet-clogging amount of material with every trip to the restroom). If you have an unusually-bulky session, you can always hold the handle down a second and you'll get a little more water in the flush. The right way is usually to push and release. (And to be surprised at how quickly the flush occurs.)

One member here says that he has a 1.6 Drake and 1.28 Drake. He thinks the 1.28 flushes every bit as well as the 1.6.

And as has been mentioned, you might as well get the 1.28. If you don't like the flush, you can swap the flapper for the Korky "Fits Toto" Red flapper and you will have the same flush as the 1.6. Or even the Blue Korky Toto Power Gravity Flapper for even a little more water on the flush. Most people who become comfortable buying the 1.28 when they realize they have this backup plan universally tell us that they got the 1.28 and it is fine.

The backup plan induces them to get the 1.28. Then they are so happy with the 1.28 that they never go with the backup plan.
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  5. brucet99

brucet99 New Member

6. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Some of it is how long the flapper valve stays open, but also some of it is on how closely they've calibrated the fill valve. For minimum water usage, the bowl/tank balance must be as close to perfect as possible - the valve only knows about the tank, the water to the bowl must be calibrated to just fill the bowl to full without overflowing and running down the drain. Not getting enough in the bowl means a poor flush as some of the next flush water needs to refill it before it can flush properly and there may not be enough so it takes a second flush.
  7. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012