Toto Fill Valve Leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

Provincial

Reaction score
Edit: Got the title wrong, it is a Fill Valve, not a Flush Valve :eek:

Hello Terry's forums, I hope you can tell me if I did something wrong here or if this is a warranty issue.

Due to a failing valve in my Toto UltraMax II, I obtained and installed the TSU99A.X replacement fill value. Despite having no previous experience fixing any toilet or plumbing, I managed to get the new valve installed with only a minor flood in my bathroom.

The problem I see is that whenever I flush it, there is a small dripping leak coming out of the new value, just before the refill adjuster. (See photos below.) Did I mess up something here? Or should I just complain to TOTO?

Photo #1:
13336406873_4b5d3c08c9_o.jpg

Photo #2:
13336655114_ecbc53865b_o.jpg

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
How much is "small"? If it's a couple of drips during the cycle (say less than a quarter-cup), forget about it. It's going into the tank instead of the bowl, not on the floor, so who cares? Presuming that you have set the refill adjuster so that it puts the right amount of water in the bowl on refill, and the valve shuts off when it is supposed to, that water coming off of the valve makes absolutely no difference whatsoever in the outcome.

Note also that the anti-siphon feature of this valve means that it will always have some water dripping off of it during the cycle, albeit not necessary by that refill adjuster. It says so right in the instructions. Again, because it's a design feature and the water goes in the tank, who cares?

If it bothers you because -- I don't know -- it looks bad or something, call Toto customer service (the number is on the toto web site 888-295-8134 ) and get a warranty replacement. They are incredibly-nice folks at Toto headquarters in Georgia, USA, and want you to be happy. Then save this one until that one breaks.

And if you ever need to replace it, just get the Korky 528MP (528MPK on the Lowe's web site), at Lowe's and other fine stores (but not HD), which is in essence what the Toto TSU99A.X is. A version of the 528MP is what Terry installs when he goes out to fix toilets. You will pay a little less for it, as it doesn't come with the same instructions or the little gizmo to set the refill ratio.

Last edited by a moderator:

Provincial

Reaction score
Thanks for your fast response. I was a little freaked out about this leaking because the old valve did not leak in this area (though it did refill forever and ever...)

In its current position, it leaks only 2-3 small drips for each flush cycle. It's so little that it doesn't even run off the top of the valve housing into the tank.

If I bend the refill tube around a little bit so the connection between the valve and refill adjuster is more straight, it drips faster, maybe 0.5 oz per flush. Sounds like the smart thing to do here is let it be.

Thanks for the tip about the 528MP, btw.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It isn't an issue, but if it bothers you, you could put either a spring clamp or a SS screw clamp on that fitting to tighten up the seal and stop the drip. It would be an issue if it were spraying and leaking out of the tank. My guess is that your water pressure is on the high side. In the USA, if it is over 80psi, you must put in a pressure reduction valve to keep it below 80psi, and many people live quite fine with water pressure as low as 30psi (a common well pump pressure switch is 20/40 or 30/50 (it costs money to pump to higher pressures - more electrical use), and before the pump turns on, it drops to that lower number). Personally, somewhere around 50-60psi is nice, as it produces a decent shower at that value.

Provincial

Reaction score
It would be an issue if it were spraying and leaking out of the tank. My guess is that your water pressure is on the high side. In the USA, if it is over 80psi, you must put in a pressure reduction valve to keep it below 80psi, and many people live quite fine with water pressure as low as 30psi (a common well pump pressure switch is 20/40 or 30/50 (it costs money to pump to higher pressures - more electrical use), and before the pump turns on, it drops to that lower number). Personally, somewhere around 50-60psi is nice, as it produces a decent shower at that value.

Thanks for this comment.

I am aware that the water pressure is quite high at my place - I did have a pressure reduction device connected to the water line behind the toilet. It was installed some years ago by my area's Toto service person after I had complained about some strange noises from the original valve.

During this fill valve replacement, I had found that the PRV's gasket had basically disintegrated, so I did not reinstall it. Maybe I need to get another one of those.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
IF you have high pressure, rather than just one regulator for the toilet, you'd be doing every valve in the house a good service to install a PRV somewhere near the water entrance to the building...note also, that this requires an expansion tank, as a PRV converts your internal house system to one called closed...when heating water, you need a place for it to go or it can cause your pressure to spike even higher since it can't push back out through the main - the PRV acts like a one-way check valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks