Toto Drake Installed and Working

Users who are viewing this thread

Futahaguro

Reaction score
New member here but have been perusing the forums for installation advice and other information. I have been active on forums for some time now and the one thing I always like is when someone posts what they did, how they did it, and how it worked so that is what I will do. I did not take any pictures but the other posts on this board have some and you really don't need any.

I hope no one minds that it is a link to my personal website. No ads or nonsense.

http://www.rx7turbo.com/totodrake.htm

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Don't you find it amazing that people get so pumped up about a toilet?
Toto just has that effect on people!
Wanna come over and see my toilet flush!
:D

I checked your web page and have a few comments...

Wax ring. My floor flange hole was 2.5" and I got a 3"/4" reinforced wax ring with integrated plastic funnel. I cut off most of the plastic funnel on the wax ring because it did not fit into my flange on the floor. The funnel was 2.75" but my flange was 2.5".

I would recommend using a plain wax ring. The smaller flange size that you have and the large outlet horn of the Drake can pinch the plastic funnel closed causing the drake to clog. It also may cause a leak. In short They cause more problems than they ever cured.

Buy a Toto Drake from an online retailer and check for all of the parts when you receive it.

I prefer dealing with a local supplier. Too much chance of rough handling and breakage... Aggravation avoided. I once recieved a 4' V 3/4" piece of round iron bar stock strapper a piece of wood that was bent into a horse shoe shape by UPS... It was straight at the start of its journey.

Take your sticky substance out and stick a little on the bottom of the bowl mounting bolts. Slide them into the correct location and squish them down. This should hold them in place pretty well when you set the bowl down.

I use 5/16" Brass closet bolts that come with a tinnerman nut. This holds the bolts upright and in place. See the pic below:

tinnerman.jpg

Flip the bowl upside down on something soft. Take out the wax ring. Mine was sitting in a platic bundt cake pan. I stuck mine in the oven for 20-30 seconds, the over didn't even warm up much. I wanted the wax a slight bit softer plus my house is @ 65 degrees or so. Pull off the plastic bundt cake pan and center the ring on the horn. Squish it down with your fingers a little to make sure it is secure on the bowl.

Heating the ring is unnecessesary. Even in the middle of winter in the Northeast US I bring the wax ring in with the rest of the supplies and by the time I have removed the old toilet and assembled the new one it is pliable enoughto set the toilet. I also set the ring on the flange not the horn of the toilet. It works for me!

Attach tank to bowl. The instructions are fine for this. The one thing you will notice is that if you tighten it the right amount it will just touch the back of the bowl. There is a little nub in back that makes contact with the bowl.

I assemble the toilet and put on the seat before setting the toilet. Making sure that the tank contacts the bowl properly and tightening the bolts is far easier while the toilet is out in the open.

Nice job! enjoy your toilet... And remember... Show it off!:D

Last edited by a moderator:

Futahaguro

Reaction score
Comments to your comments:

I would recommend using a plain wax ring. The smaller flange size that you have and the large outlet horn of the Drake can pinch the plastic funnel closed causing the drake to clog. It also may cause a leak. In short They cause more problems than they ever cured.

I will do that next time. I thought the "reinforced" might be a good idea but in hindsight and with your comments I doubt it is needed on a new install like mine was. I would imagine the horn gets pretty close to the flange. This is also why I trimmed off most of it.

I prefer dealing with a local supplier. Too much chance of rough handling and breakage... Aggravation avoided. I once recieved a 4' V 3/4" piece of round iron bar stock strapper a piece of wood that was bent into a horse shoe shape by UPS... It was straight at the start of its journey.

I also like to buy locally to support my economy here but I couldn't pass up a $100 savings to my door.

I use 5/16" Brass closet bolts that come with a tinnerman nut. This holds the bolts upright and in place. See the pic below:

Again, something to use for my next Toto install:) Thanks

Heating the ring is unnecessesary. Even in the middle of winter in the Northeast US I bring the wax ring in with the rest of the supplies and by the time I have removed the old toilet and assembled the new one it is pliable enoughto set the toilet. I also set the ring on the flange not the horn of the toilet. It works for me!

I will keep that in mind next time. It was just me being extra careful to follow the directions on the box since it was my first time installing a toilet. Maybe I will try the ring on the flange next time.

I assemble the toilet and put on the seat before setting the toilet. Making sure that the tank contacts the bowl properly and tightening the bolts is far easier while the toilet is out in the open.

I can imagine what you mean about getting the tank on after the bowl but I like the lighter weight of just the bowl.

Nice job! enjoy your toilet... And remember... Show it off!:D

Thanks! I am sure most women might find it gross but I still watch the toilet in action because it is so neat:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks