Toto Drake installation question

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by BDPlikaytis, Nov 22, 2007.

1. BDPlikaytis

BDPlikaytis New Member

Hello,
    I've been lurking here for some time reading all the great advice about Toto toilets. Based on what I have read here, I purchased the Eco-max version of the Drake model. My installation question concerns the wax ring and whether it is necessary to get a ring that includes the funnel (I think some folks call this a 'horn'). It creates a more certain channel from the toilet to the waste pipe that may be more resistant to leaks. Is it necessary to use this type of mechanism? I ask because the funnel narrows down to 3 inches so that it will fit with both 3 inch and 4 inch flanges. I have the 4 inch flange so If I use this, will this narrowing (from 4 to 3 inches) cause any problems with the toilet evacuating its contents? Will I experience more clogs with this mechanism than without?

thank you in advance for all help, advice , and suggestions.

Brian
    Tucker, Georgia
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

You do not need the plastic horn. Just a regular wax ring works perfectly.
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

In certain circumstances, the plastic horn causes more problems that it is supposed to fix. Best to be avoided. The biggest thing in setting a toilet is to do it essentially twice, the first time without the wax ring to check if it sits flat. If it doesn't add some shims so that when you do put it back, you know it won't rock. A rocking toilet will break the wax seal, the horn might keep it from leaking unless there is a backup, but it will still leak sewer gases.
  4. BDPlikaytis

BDPlikaytis New Member

Toto Drake installation

Jim and Gary,
    many thanks for the advice.

Brian