Total newbie question, sorry!

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by digitallyhip, Jan 31, 2009.

1. digitallyhip

digitallyhip New Member

What's a 12" rough-in? I want/need to replace the 15 year old generic toilets in our house with Toto Ultramaxes, but need to be sure that they can work with our existing plumbing. What do I measure to ensure that the new ones (with 12" rough-in) can be bolted in place without floor surgery.

Thanks for any suggestions.
  2. TedL

TedL New Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2009
  3. kc1121

kc1121 New Member

measure from your wall to the bolts on your existing toilets.
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Usually, the bolts are located at the middle of the flange, so that will be a good measurement - technically it's to the middle of the drain to the wall. Note, it's to the wall, not the baseboard. Depending on the toilet, there will usually be some gap behind the toilet, so if it is less than 12", it might still fit...depends on the specific toilet you choose.
  5. digitallyhip

digitallyhip New Member

Thank you all. The bolts are 12", so I'll go with that suggestion.