Toilet sucks air and lowers water level

Users who are viewing this thread

philgrg

Reaction score
During a bathroom remodel, I recently installed a new toilet. The old toilet worked fine, and this one did at first. Now about a week after it has been in, a strange problem developed. The toilet flushes as normal, then a few seconds after flushing the water level in the bowl begins to drop until it reaches the drain hole. Then the toilet seems to suck air for some time. I am looking for suggestions. I suspect it may be inadequate venting, but why the sudden start.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

It is not a venting problem. The most common reason for that symptom is that the underground pipe is getting plugged and it is filling with water. When the water drains down it sucks the water out of the toilet.

Cameron Fields

Undergraduate
Reaction score
It is not a venting problem. The most common reason for that symptom is that the underground pipe is getting plugged and it is filling with water. When the water drains down it sucks the water out of the toilet.

Hj I right, its not a problem with venting, it could be that this toilet is using less water than the old toilet. Which mean if not all of the waste flushes and remains in the line this could cause a gas, an air lock so to speak. And this would cause you toilet to completely empty. Good luck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks