toilet, shower dilema

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by rululu2, Feb 21, 2009.

1. rululu2

rululu2 New Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Fixing this house
    New Cumberland, PA
    Hello All,

My husband and I recently purchased a home with a large master bathroom. The bathroom appears to be an addition made by closing in a breeze way. The problem is the shower it is to small and it can not be enlarged without replacing a large vanity that is in good condition. Diagonally across from the shower is a toilet which if I put the toilet where the shower is located and the shower where the toilet is located I could work the large jacuzzi tub and shower together but I was told that I could put a toilet where there was a shower but not a shower where there was a toilet. Please advise me I need to spend the least amount of money and a new vanity is too expensive.

Thank you,
  2. thezster

thezster New Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Retired young... day trade stocks - and to keep bu
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Anything is possible

I'm not sure I understand what "someone" told you. You can tie in a shower (2" drain minimum) into the 3 or 4 inch toilet drain.... but cannot tie a toilet into a 2" shower drain.

That being said: You can do almost anything - but it will cost. If the price of a new vanity ($200/$500) is an issue - then repiping the bathroom will probably bust your budget "big time"....
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Aug 31, 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona

You CAN put a toilet where there is a shower, AND/OR a shower where there is a toilet, or either one where there is now nothing. BUT, in all cases the piping to them is what determines whether it is a correct installation or not. In other words, when you change the fixture locations, you also have to change some piping.