Toilet seat wiggling

Users who are viewing this thread

Singlemom1950

Reaction score
My toilet seat shifts from side to side. The problem seems to be that one of the screws is loose in the hole provided in the porcelain. Could I fill the hole with caulk or liquid nails or something like that then drive the screw into that filler?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
My toilet seat shifts from side to side. The problem seems to be that one of the screws is loose in the hole provided in the porcelain. Could I fill the hole with caulk or liquid nails or something like that then drive the screw into that filler?

Well, in most cases, the bolt isn't designed to completely-fill the width of the hole. Rather, the wiggling is prevented by the bolt and nut being tightened down, on which side depends upon the design of the hardware. I would that whatever the appropriate tools are and tighten the thing up. Straighten it out like you like, then tighten both sides.

There are enough designs that it's hard to generalize too much, but that's the basic idea.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think I have seen nuts that came with seats that had a bushing or conical piece that would center the bolts in the holes.

https://www.ginsey.com/product/toilet-seat-tightening-kit includes bushings , but I expect bushings could be found elsewhere.
85245_ToiletTool_beige.jpg

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
You could also buy a new seat.Easy to install and you can get them at any hardware
store.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks