Toilet leaking post flapper replacement ... what next?

Users who are viewing this thread

diyguy1982

Reaction score
Every 15 minutes or so toilet water 'tops off' in the tank - indicative of a leak. The toilet is 3 year old.

I went to replace the flapper (with identical model) - and the problem continues. The old 'flapper' did not look worn, corroded or crusted over in any way.

Where do I go from here? Thanks!

Eman85

Reaction score
How does the seat look that the flapper seals to? Open the flapper and feel the seat is it rough, pitted or have any scale on it? They make a glue on seat but many times it's better to remove the tank and replace the whole assembly.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
well you got it narrowed down i suppose you could have a defect in the tank or some other leak at the bottom but 99 percent of time its the flapper or flush valve. Id likly pull tank and replace , maybe even concider swapping the flapper with another toilet in the house . I do mean pretty much literally 99 percent of the time its the flapper or flushvalve maybey the chain or handle sticky but that should be obvious

Reach4

Reaction score
Turn off the supply stop valve. See at what level the water levels off. Most probablee are fairly near the top of the overflow, at the level of the flush valve seat, and at the level of the bottom of the tank.

K4xmb

Reaction score
Because of hard water corrosion to toilet & water heater, we had water softener installed. I replaced all of the internal flapper parts & tank filler stem, new bolts & washers too that hold tank to bowl. Instructions said to hand tighten flapper nut then 1/4 turn, which I did. Reconnected everything & noticed leak of water from what looked like under the caulk at the back of the toilet. But, the back of the toilet was also damp. It’s a Jacuzzi toilet that sits on a large red rubber wedge shaped seal, which seems precarious. I’ve tightened the bolts as much as I could without cracking vitreous. Should I use a silicone caulk around large black plastic nut that secured flapper mechanism ? Or just buy another toilet that has a more secure tank to bowl attachment ? Or even a one piece toilet ?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Because of hard water corrosion to toilet & water heater, we had water softener installed. I replaced all of the internal flapper parts & tank filler stem, new bolts & washers too that hold tank to bowl. Instructions said to hand tighten flapper nut then 1/4 turn, which I did. Reconnected everything & noticed leak of water from what looked like under the caulk at the back of the toilet. But, the back of the toilet was also damp. It’s a Jacuzzi toilet that sits on a large red rubber wedge shaped seal, which seems precarious. I’ve tightened the bolts as much as I could without cracking vitreous. Should I use a silicone caulk around large black plastic nut that secured flapper mechanism ? Or just buy another toilet that has a more secure tank to bowl attachment ? Or even a one piece toilet ?
try original parts or you just assembled it wrong ,

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks