Toilet flushing problem

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by tlbednar, Apr 30, 2006.

1. tlbednar

tlbednar New Member

I replaced the flapper on my toilet. Ever since then it hasn't flushed right. It wants to keep flushing for about 4 or 5 seconds before the bowl begins to fill back up. Any idea what the problem may be?
  2. I don't know, but if you have two small "L" shaped brackets on the bottom of the overflow tube, cut out the ring of the flapper that fits over the tube, and hook the flapper "ears" on those brackets.
    Then adjust the chain length so that it just allows the flapper to close fully.
    Should work better this way.
    Good Luck!
    Mike
  3. plumber1

plumber1 Plumber

flapper

Try the flapper first......

Could it be that you have high water water pressure?

Check to see that you don't have so much water coming through the refill tube into the stand pipe that it forces water back towards the opening in the flush valve, keeping the flapper from closing.

If there is no flow adjustment on the refill tube and you have a high volume flow into the ballcock, cut a short piece of 1/8" tubing and insert it into the outlet of the refill tube, which will restrict the flow.

Then again this may not apply to you, but it's worth consideration.