Toilet Floor Flange Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Jvstevens

Reaction score
I am in the process of replacing the vinyl floor in my bathroom, as the old one was stained around the toilet base, which made me think there was water seepage from the toilet. I removed the toilet and started peeling off the old vinyl and expected to see moisture between the vinyl and concrete subfloor, but it appeared dry everywhere. So, I guess the leak was from long ago. As I was removing the old wax from the floor flange, I noticed that the toilet drain pipe extends a little bit above the top surface of the floor flange. About 1/8" to 1/4" or so. The bottom of the floor flange is about even with the vinyl floor as it should be (maybe slightly above). Out of curiosity, I set the toilet back on top of floor flange (dry fit, without a new wax ring) and the toilet doesn't rest flat on the floor. It's slightly wobbly, presumably because the end of the drain pipe hits the bottom of the toilet. I think this may explain why there was a leaking problem in the past. So, it seems like the right thing to do is to trim off the top of the drain pipe so its even with the top of the floor flange, but I'm not sure of the best way to do it. Hand filing sounds horrendous, if its even possible. I'm thinking of grinding it down with my angle grinder and a metal grinding wheel, but I hate the noise and sparks. I also have a worry (maybe unfounded) that it is unwise to produce sparks where there is possibly flammable sewer gases.

What do you guys do in these situations? The wobble seems to be fairly minimal and another thought I had was to shim it all around (followed by caulking), but I like the clean look and feel of the toilet flat on the floor all around.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If you can shim the back up less than 1/4" with the front flat on the floor, that should be fine. If the protrusion requires more than that, I would hit it with the grinder, using a box around the flange to keep the wall clean.
Sewer gas is not highly flammable, it's the gas line you have to worry about.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks