Toilet Flapper Replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

sdjerry

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I replaced the flapper inside my toilet today. At first it was going well, but now it's not flushing properly. The flapper isn't closing, I have to manually push it down for it to shut.

What is causing this? I have adjusted the chain a couple of different times and it's at the right level, does the actual toilet handle itself need replacing possibly?

If it helps I replaced it with a universal fluidmaster, not the plastic kind.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Are we talking about one something like this???

2001BP-Unpackaged.jpg

If so dig you slide the ring over the overflow tube. Slide it all the way down then put the 2 loops over the hooks?

sdjerry

Reaction score
Are we talking about one something like this???

2001BP-Unpackaged.jpg

If so dig you slide the ring over the overflow tube. Slide it all the way down then put the 2 loops over the hooks?

Yes, it looks similar to that. However, the one I bought gives you the option of cutting the ring, which I had to do, it's not possible to slide the ring over the tube with my toilet.

Both ears are attached to the hooks on the overflow tube, so I'm not sure what the problem could be.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Okay, we've cleared that hurdle... So far so good...
Believe it or, not I have seen them installed with both the ring and the hooks!:eek:

Next If you press the handle to flush then lift the handle to return it manually to its lowered position does the valve close okay? Watch with the tank lid off...

sdjerry

Reaction score
Next If you press the handle to flush then lift the handle to return it manually to its lowered position does the valve close okay? Watch with the tank lid off...

I tried this and the valve did close and seal. This was with holding the toilet handle of course. So far so good? :)

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Well that kinda has us down to the tank handle...
Time for a new one! Good job changing the flapper!:)

sdjerry

Reaction score
Well that kinda has us down to the tank handle...
Time for a new one! Good job changing the flapper!:)

Ok, and that's what I was sort of thinking to. The flapper stopped the leak that the old flapper allowed which is great.

How expensive is a new handle? Easy to replace?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I'll say $5-10 as long as its on the front... Side mount is higher.

Take the old one with you to match it up!

No sweat SDJerry!

sdjerry

Reaction score
Just wanted to thank you again Redwood for your help. I installed a new flush lever today and the problem is now solved, works like a dream.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks