Toilet flange repair -Metal flange on concrete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Bmusgrove

Reaction score
I have a toilet with the metal flanged PVC . The attached picture is the style I have, just not a picture of mine. The metal has corroded and rusted. I had a "professional " plumber come in and he repaired it using a PASCO 210132 metal ring. After that the Toilet rocked and starting leaking.
In looking at his repair, he did not screw thing ring down properly and he cracked the tile around the flange.
In researching solutions, the repair that appeals to me is removing the flange by cutting it and using a chisel to break the bond.

My question" All the videos I see it appear that no glue used opn the original flange. Cut a wedge out and the flange just pulls out. One video (the only one that discusses glue vs primer and glue) implies it is almost impossible to do using a chisel to break the plastic apart.
Is this correct? I would rather replace it than put a repair ring in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Any time a toilet rocks, that means (at least with a wax ring), you've broken the seal and it could leak. The first step in setting any toilet is to ensure it does not and cannot rock BEFORE you set it on the wax ring. Wax won't rebound, and once you rock it one way, it compresses the wax, and leaves a gap when it rocks the other way. WHen using a repair ring, you have to ensure you make a good seal both between it and the old, and then to the toilet.

Note, depending on the original flange, he may have been able to use a split one that essentially locked into the groove on the old plastic part, but what was used does work if installed properly.

Bmusgrove

Reaction score
Any time a toilet rocks, that means (at least with a wax ring), you've broken the seal and it could leak. The first step in setting any toilet is to ensure it does not and cannot rock BEFORE you set it on the wax ring. Wax won't rebound, and once you rock it one way, it compresses the wax, and leaves a gap when it rocks the other way. WHen using a repair ring, you have to ensure you make a good seal both between it and the old, and then to the toilet.

Note, depending on the original flange, he may have been able to use a split one that essentially locked into the groove on the old plastic part, but what was used does work if installed properly.

He used a solid metal repair ring. Since he also cracked the tile I am going to have to chip the tile out and fix it . As long as I am goign that far I would like to replace the flange assembly instead of repairing it if possible. I suppose the Oaret Moss Bay Flange my be a suitable replacement though.

That would allow me to reset the height as I think it wa s a wee low from replacing the carpet with tile.

The things you learn to check after the fact... If the original is rusted, you have a leak.

red_ring_repair_2.jpg

Attachments

• repair.jpg
    repair.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 607
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks