Toilet Flange Installation

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by nin28, May 23, 2007.

1. nin28

nin28 New Member

I'm about to install a new flange/pipe in my bathroom and have a question about installation. Right now I have a 3/4" plywood subfloor. I'm going to put 1/2 inch Wonderboard down, and then a layer of tile. At which layer of floor should the flange be installed? I was thinking that I would attach it to the Wonderboard layer, because going through the tile would quite difficult. Suggestions?
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

flange

I'm NOT a plumber, I just play one on TV.

You and about a hundred other people. Put it on top of the tile.
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

If you notch the tile before putting it down, you don't have to drill through it. If that fails, at Lowes, you can buy diamond core drills, which may be required if it is a hard porcelain. Also, since the cement board (cbu) isn't structural, unless you need the height, 1/4" stuff is more than enough...save some money and aggravation and use the thinner stuff. Make sure to follow the instructions...cbu requires thinset underneath it; not to hold it down, the fasteners do that, but to fill any minor imperfections so it is 100% support for the tile. And, tape the joints with approved tape.
  4. nin28

nin28 New Member

Sounds good. I'll try it and let you know how it goes...
  5. use scrap pieces of tile.

use cut tiles, positioned to leave enough space already, so you don't need to drill through them afterwards. Even notching the tile is a bit more work than necessary. Use scrap pieces of tile, fragments.

david