Toilet Flange - How Terrible Is This?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by keystone73, May 16, 2011.

1. keystone73

keystone73 New Member

I live in a 150 year old, 3 story rowhome. Nothing was designed to be the way it is now, and nothing is ever easy to work on.

I pulled up my old 1950s toilet thinking I had an easy DIY project. This is what I found. The flange is slightly above the tile. Presumably more importantly, the flange is not supported by the floor on either side. The right side of the toilet is worse and is pictured below.

Any advice? I am only semi-handy. Even if the advice is 'call a carpenter, plumber and tile guy', I'd like to be educated about what should happen to make this right.

Resized-0001.jpg

Resized-0000.jpg
    Last edited: May 16, 2011
  2. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

You are not going to be able to screw that flange down.
    Cut off the T bolts with hacksaw and replace with brass ones.
    Then fill in the voids with fast setting cement.
    The flange may look like crap but it looks like it will be ok.
    Water plug mixed with some sand mix.
    Last edited: May 16, 2011
  3. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

It's a leaded flange on a cast iron pipe, which is sitting at the proper level. There is really not necessary to do anything other than install new bolts and wax ring. If you want to patch the floor, go for it, but it's really not causing a problem.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

cast iron flanges in a lead/oakum jointed system do NOT have to be "supported, or even secured" to the floor. But if there is anything wrong with that one, which we cannot see, a plumber can remove it and install a new one in a matter of minutes.