Toilet flange below floor level

Users who are viewing this thread

mnRemodeler

Reaction score
My toilet flange sits directly on the OSB subfloor. I will be installing hardibacker and then tile which will mean the toilet flange will be lower than the height of the tile. What's the best way to handle that? Should I look around for a spacer or do you just go with a thick wax ring?

Also, the water line for the toilet is pex coming out of the subfloor vertically rather than on the back wall. I'm assuming there is some kind of special chrome or nickel pedestal type fitting that is made to handle this situation but I have no idea what its called. Can someone direct me to some photos or something that would illustrate how I plumb this?

Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It would be easier if you could move the water pipe to the wall, but if it is an exterior one, that may subject it to problems. Cutting clean holes in hard porcelain takes a little skill, and depending on the tile, may crack it. You can easily find escutcheons to give the tubing a finished look at the floor, and cut the pex such that the shutoff valve is then sitting right on top of it (don't cut it too short!). Most any compression shutoff will work IF you pick up an internal stiffening ferrule so it's strong enough to lock it in place (or, maybe use a press-on Sharkbite valve). Some are packaged with the ferrule, but they are available separately in a good plumbing supply house.

Depends somewhat on how far below the finished floor the top of the flange is. Lots of them are where yours is and people then use two wax rings. Ideally, you'd move the flange to sit on top of the finished floor. If you have access from below, that may be fairly easy, then, no compromises.

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
As noted above, as long as you can bore cleanly through the tile, the floor water supply shouldn't be a problem. For your flange issue, there are three waxless seals that are great. The blue Fluidmaster has an extended ring to use, if needed. The red one is a Korky product. I'm not sure about the blue Fluidmaster, but the Korky and Sani Seal are stackable if you need the additional height. The green Sani Seal would probably be sufficient on its own, as it is very thick.
Fluidmaster 7530.jpg Sani Seal.jpg Korky 6000PK.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks