Tiny laundry room & useless bathroom: need suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

Suceress

Reaction score
I will probably have to provide diagrams at some point but basically on the southeast end of my kitchen there is a doorway (with a curtain rather than door) that has a door out to the back on the left and a bathroom on the left side with the door parallel to the kitchen doorway. The hallway itself goes to the south exterior wall and on the left (east) it has a tiny laundry room. Well, it might be decent sized but the washer and dryer are on the north wall and they are 31.5" deep. Each one is 27" wide. One cannot walk through the room if the doors to either are open. I think the total width of the wall that the appliances are against is about 60" or less. The installers tore the linoleum (which was sitting on top of a damaged floor that the linoleum installer tried to fix by pouring in some white powder and adding water). There's apparently a moisture barrier underneath because I can see clear plastic. The linoleum installer had apprentices doing the job and they used the wrong length so there is a seam across the middle of the floor which has started to come apart. (The installer has since retired from the rug business and currently drives a school bus).

Here is a rough sketch of the bathroom (nothing is really proportionate and I need to do more measurements).
tumblr_moiz6bLD7J1qkwd9ao1_r1_400.png

There is a metal pipe coming out of the floor that the wall-mounted sink used to attach to, but the sink fell off the wall and the pipe broke. I don't think it is currently attached to anything. In the laundry room there are three plastic pipes sticking out of the floor. Two of them have shutoff valves and one of them is capped. The east wall has a small window in the laundry room. There is also a small window in the bathroom. There is a small ceiling fan in the laundry room as well as a vent to the central air conditioning.

I don't think that the wall the appliances rest against is load bearing.

I'm thinking of tearing out the walls of the bathroom, getting rid of the useless shower (which is currently being used as a storage closet), moving the washer and dryer to the east wall or south wall, putting in a sink to rinse clothes in and having a stall for a toilet using either a shower curtain for a doorway or a bifold door or an accordion door. I don't think there is enough room to have a sink and toilet in the same little room and still have decent space for the laundry area. Given the market for houses in this area, we aren't terribly concerned with losing value in the home by eliminating a bathroom. The current bathroom is not anywhere near up to code anyway. I wish I could figure out how to keep a small shower in the area somehow too. Perhaps it could be used to rinse with a detachable shower head or something-- but again, more walls= less space.

There is a light above the exterior door (the wiring is inside but the light is for the outside). We currently have a curtain hanging in the doorway to the kitchen because the entire laundry area is not properly insulated and is cold in winter and hot in summer. The wooden floor near the door got wet somehow and expanded we tried putting those styrofoam wrapped in cloth things under the door but it just snagged on the linoleum and tore it and then ended up getting stuck and making it hard to open and close the door.

The bedroom has two entrances (one to the laundry hallway and the other to another hallway on the opposite side). I once entertained the idea of having the bathroom on the south wall and moving the bedroom door closer so that room would have its own bathroom. Unfortunately the room is so small that with the position of the bed that isn't feasible (because of interior closets and other things there isn't any space to move the bed elsewhere). We are entertaining the idea of getting rid of the east door to the bedroom as the north door is the one being used.

I will try to get more measurements and such and maybe even some photos.

I plan to do as much of the demolition as I can by myself (perhaps with the help of a friend who has offered to help if I need bc we helped him out).

I'm hoping to do this as cheaply as possible.

Any suggestions thus far?

The kitchen currently has parkay flooring so there is a drop to the linoleum. The entire area used to be parkay flooring but the tenants destroyed the floor in the laundry and bathroom.

What type of flooring is very durable/sturdy and water resistant but not too pricey? It needs to be able to handle heavy things being dropped and appliances being dragged. I know the floor underneath is not level.

Any pictures or drawings of layout suggestions?

Should I try to keep a shower there or does it seem there isn't enough space?

What would be the best use of that space?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
W&d

The immediate solution would be to rotate the W&D so they are on the west, ( or east depending whether North is up or down), wall and you have better access to their doors. If the room is 60" wide, which would be normal, that is how they intended them to be installed, except maybe for a poor plumbing design.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, the toilet installation does not meet current code which requires a MINIMUM of 15" either side of the center for a toilet install. Where you have a toilet, you must have a sink nearby to meet code, too. Now, a laundry sink may qualify - you'd have to check with the local inspector. Many washer/dryer pairs have optional stacking brackets, which may help with the space problem. I agree with HJ, I'd consider moving them to the west wall - they should fit with a little room to spare. In most cases, the WM hose is long enough, but the dryer duct may be more of an issue, but not insurmountable.

Suceress

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. I should have flipped the drawing but I drew it as I see it when I face it sort of. Up is South, left is East, etc.

I have this washer and dryer set (complete with pedestals)
tumblr_moj6a3fwNo1qhfuqwo1_500.jpg

But they don't sit so closely together.

The plumbing to supply water for the washer and dryer is on the north (lower) wall and sticks out about 5 inches. This makes the washer and dryer stick out even more. The combined width of washer and dryer of pushed tight together would be about 54". The east (left) wall has the window (which is slightly below the height of the washer/dryer) and the vent for the dryer is also on that wall. IIRC, my mother said that the reason she didn't want both units on that wall was bc there was no room to open the doors since the wall is a little less than 61". The doors are rather thick and won't swing very far (because of the stuff on the South wall that sticks out and makes things have to bump over more to the North wall by 4" to 5"). Just moving the washer and dryer in to the space in the first place was a major ordeal in the first place.

I have a revised sketch with some rough measurements. It was hard for me to get in to some of the places to try to see and I had to have my brother tell me what he thought the measurement was on some things when I was holding the other end. He's even worse with measuring tapes than I am. I have a hard time seeing the little lines. LOL.
tumblr_mou5znhdhm1qkwd9ao1_r2_400.png

Just before the entrance to the actual laundry area is a door frame. I've determined that the wall is not load bearing (one since it is so small and two because it runs parallel to the joists- the load-bearing beam in the kitchen is perpendicular to it).

From the South wall to the window = 18". The window is just shy of 23" wide.

Hopefully the rest of the measurements are legible. I was obviously terrible at getting the proportions done right. I should find the right software. I just slapped it together in MS Paint.

Jadnashua, yeah, I realized it wasn't to code. I think I griped about it elsewhere before. LOL. The distance from the toilet to the old sink probably wasn't to code either. I doubt that much of anything in this house is up to code. I know it has been around since at least the 40s and there were some renovations in the 60s or 70s.

IIRC, when we first got this washer and dryer we tried putting them on the East wall but we couldn't get them to fit bc of other obstacles-- not sure what though.

We do need to renovate since the bathroom as-is is useless. My brother is literally wider than the doorway into it and wider than the area for the toilet.

Another thing I need to find out is what my flooring options are. I need something that is sturdy and water resistant. Something that won't tear or scrape up when I move the washer and dryer (although I know I should use something underneath them to prevent scratches).

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
W&d

My washer and dryer is the exact one shown in your picture, including the color. The doors only have to open 90 degrees so the wall is not a problem.

Suceress

Reaction score
My mother already nixed that idea and said we tried to fit them on that wall when we first got them and bc nothing is square, they wouldn't fit and she doesn't want the window blocked.

Right now I need help with:
* The layout-- figuring out the best use of space for the area after the bathroom walls are torn down
* Whether or not any of the walls should NOT be torn down
* Selecting flooring that is water resistant, can withstand all sorts of abuse (heavy things falling-- appliances being moved), but isn't too expensive.
* Making sure everything is done to building codes for my area (which I'm sure are actually fairly loose or are not really enforced bc I see new construction going up that I know would not be to code in other places).
* Whether or not I should keep a shower in the area or just ditch it all together.
* Figuring out how much money should be spent on the project. Value of house probably not important bc the market here is awful (but people do want the land).

My current ideas:
Plan A1: Gut everything, insulate exterior walls, put up paneling, not sure where to put things. Was thinking of having a toilet stall in either the same place as the current toilet or moving the toilet to the south wall or something. Either full walls around the toilet or more like the stalls you find in store bathrooms (which would probably look pretty tacky but would work). Might keep the existing toilet even though it blows (would love to get another Toto Drake but I don't think mom would splurge for that-- would actually like to take her old Toto drake and get a Drake II for her bathroom). We have a small vanity with a large sink that could be used for hand-washing after toilet use as well as for rinsing some clothes and/or handwashing things. (I'll get measurements on that sink later). Ideas for door to toilet area ranged from bifold doors to a simple curtain. No shower in this version.
Pros: Plenty of open space to work with and easy to access laundry area without bumping into walls. My brother would have his own designated bathroom and would not have to wake me up to go through my room to go to my bathroom and I would not have to clean up his mess afterward. He would not wake mother up by stumbling into her room loudly in the middle of the night to use her bathroom, thus she would not be in such a bad mood when she wakes up. I would not have to clean his toilet.
Cons: Aesthetically might not look balanced for back door and would not have a wall to keep out cold/hot air-- less wall space for storage. Lack of shower reduces home value slightly and bro would need to use someone else's shower.

Plan A2: Same as plan A except maybe with something for a shower. It would have to be big enough to fit my brother so he could freely move around inside (and it would have to be tall enough since he's over 6") yet small enough not to cut in to the space in that area. Showerhead would be one of those detachable ones that that can be moved around to spray harder to reach spots-- but could also be used to spray laundry or other items if need be. I've seen showers where there is only one wall and a shower curtain circles-- but I think my bro would need support if he slipped and I'd like to have a grab bar somewhere in the area. I'm debating whether a shower pan would be a good idea or if it would be better to create a custom shower-- perhaps using a membrane instead of stupid plastic liner (and hot-mopping is a definite "no"). Not sure how to make one without tile though-- and my mother HATES tile.
Pros: Same as A1 but add in shower which would give brother place to clean up and maintain home value. Could help wash other items that won't fit in sink. My brother wouldn't have to go into my room or my mother's room and make a mess in the bathroom when he takes a shower.
Cons: less wall space, less space for other things if shower included. Shower would be more expensive and must be done properly or can leak and ruin floor. Requires more plumbing changes.

Plan B1: Pretty much the same as Plan A1 except the north wall of the bathroom would stay as a bit of a divider (and to provide some wall space for storage). Aesthetically it would probably look better than just having the laundry room exposed.
Pros: More wall space for storage. Aesthetically balanced for back door. Gives divider to break flow of cold/hot air from door.
Cons: Probably have to remove bathroom door for it. Might make it a bit more cramped when trying to access laundry area.

Plan B2: Same as A2 except north bathroom wall would stay.
Same pros and cons as B1.

Plan C1&2: Same as B1&2 except north bathroom wall would extend all the way to the west wall, allowing my brother to reach the bathroom area in privacy. Not sure how well that would work. Perhaps we could use a curtain or something there. We currently have a curtain in the archway from the kitchen to the back hall. A lot of heat and cold comes in from that door so the separation helps.
Pros: More privacy for bro. Possibly more area set aside as bathroom? (depends on placement of everything). Divider keeps cold/hot air flow blocked and allows room to stay warmer/cooler. Possibly more wall space for storage/shelves.
Cons: Less space for laundry. Might be harder to access area when carrying laundry (more cramped). Probably more expensive bc some walls will have to be added and will require more wall covering (which would be existing old wall panels plus cheap plywood painted in Killz-- already have Killz). Part of wall might have to go at neo angle to not interfere with brother's door.

Other notes: The window in the laundry room is just under 23"wide and is 18" from the south wall. The bathroom has no lighting and is being used as a storage closet so I didn't get the window measurement there. That window in particular is home to spiders. The whole room is probably a spider nest by now actually. The measurements are approximate since I am not very handy with a measuring tape and I have trouble seeing the smaller lines. If it isn't .25 or .5 or right on the mark of a main number I have trouble seeing it.

The vanity/sink is like this:
60fb8ab0a89357dad0d155d4f41d582f.jpg

but will have a higher faucet-- I wish I could find one with a spray attachment that wouldn't be expensive.

Another thought is that part of the existing north wall of the bathroom could be kept but part of it removed to give a wider space but still have some division.

Things that would be nice to have in the room if space/$ allows:
* some sort of surface for folding laundry
* some place to store dirty laundry waiting to be washed but that is out of reach for cats so they can't use it as a litterbox
* A place where clean laundry can be set/stored before being folded or put away (perhaps an unmatched sock bin somewhere so we can try to collect up the socks and match them).
* An electric vent that removes moisture from the air so the room does not become too damp (I think current bathroom has vent-lite-heat thingy but am not certain).
* Find place to re-use between-the-studs mirrored medicine cabinet (I know it wouldn't be able to go on the exterior walls unless I just built a box to go around it and have it jut out from the wall or something).
* Enough space to bring in a folding chair or seat so laundry can be handled while sitting (my mother will need this). Would be nice if there was room for a chair that is actually comfortable that can be moved in to place.
* Since cats might be prone to go there, a litterbox area would be nice (but not a requirement)

Picture ideas for inspiration
Storage-- rods that stick out for drying things (could be placed directly on wall)
14b66a5b575d5029609eb6b35570ea4b.jpg

But I'm only 5'5" so it would have to be within reach unless I had an apparatus for grabbing things.

Drying thing that pulls out for use and collapses to wall when not in use.
ca5f50ff84530d38b75e459cca3c4b3c.jpg

Drawers that pull out and have racks for drying
a2391a9c4bb3340ecd6f5e394ee7669e.jpg

More things that fold out from the wall
42dcec092a8ef64605937e158fe5c1a5.jpg

Rolling shelf thingy that goes between machines or could go between machine and wall.
8f9617123b98e2b13535e7c0db1831e6.jpg

Too bad we probably don't have space for something like this (but with frosted glass)
http://media-cache-ec3.pinimg.com/550x/59/77/55/597755bfa49c85cd511589d3a0195264.jpg

Anyone know of good free software for laying this stuff out-- something easy to use?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
room

You are asking for a "free" architectural design, and that is probably NOT going to happen. One thing we can tell you is that there is no way we can tell you if any wall should NOT be removed, unless we were standing inside the room.

Suceress

Reaction score
I'm not asking for anyone to go into great detail or do a professional job of doing a design. I'm asking for suggestions (and yes, I realize the putting the w/d against the east wall was a suggestion but we tried that and it doesn't work-- it also doesn't fix the bathroom situation). Other places on the forum people have discussed remodeling and where things should go and such and they have had helpful replies. I was hoping for similar responses.

I would consult a professional in my area if there were any in my area, but there are not. I'm in an area that has been referred to as "No Man's Land". When I have work done on my satellite, they have to send someone from another state to do the work.

If people want to reply that's fine, if not, that's fine as well.

Chris B.

Electrician
Reaction score
I have some ideas but first, a few things.

There is a lot of space wasted between the door from the bedroom and the washer. In order to maximize the space and get everything you want, you'll need to change things right around. This means relocating plumbing and electrical, which puts cheap right out the window. Your plan didn't show where the plumbing stack is nor what kind of access you have from underneath (is this on a concrete slab? a crawlspace?), so I just drew up some floor plans to at least give you some ideas.

Based on your measurements, this is your current floor plan:

Attachments

• Laundry_and_bathroom.jpg
    Laundry_and_bathroom.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 3,288

Chris B.

Electrician
Reaction score
This gives you a bathroom and a place to fold laundry, but no laundry sink.

Attachments

• Laundry_and_bathroom_new_plan.jpg
    Laundry_and_bathroom_new_plan.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 1,165

Chris B.

Electrician
Reaction score
This plan would require you to use the top of the washer and dryer to create space to fold laundry. Maybe you could put the litter box under the laundry sink.

Attachments

• Laundry_and_bathroom_new_plan_2.jpg
    Laundry_and_bathroom_new_plan_2.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,173

Chris B.

Electrician
Reaction score
This would give you everything you want except now there is no direct access from the bedroom on the left.

Attachments

• Laundry_and_bathroom_new_plan_3.jpg
    Laundry_and_bathroom_new_plan_3.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 1,084

Chris B.

Electrician
Reaction score
It won't let me edit my first post so just let me add that my plans assume that you can remove the walls that enclose the bathroom but it is up to you to find out if that is the case.

Suceress

Reaction score
Thank you very much, Chris B. I really appreciate it! Great floorplan drawings!

I agree that there is a lot of wasted space. I don't know what the people were thinking when they designed it. I know that the house has had add-ons over the years and I'm not sure exactly what part was original and what part was added.

It's sparking some ideas. I completely forgot about mentioning the type of access and where all of the plumbing was. I believe the plumbing stacks are in the wall that the washer and dryer are up against. I think I saw one of the vent pipes through a spot with missing paneling. Most of the plumbing is within that wall. The back side of the north wall of the bathroom is already missing paneling so I can see right into it. It looks like basic 2x4s. The walls are all less than 10' from the exterior wall so I'm 99% certain that none of those walls are loadbearing. I suppose you could call it a crawlspace under the house. The house is just sitting up on top of triangular shaped concrete blocks as far as I can tell. So underneath is just dirt and a bit of room for crawling. And I mean like military style crawling under barbed wire type crawl in some places. I used to have plenty of space when I played under there as a kid. Now some of the dirt has filled in and I'm significantly larger so its a bit more difficult. That is where my skinny friend comes in.

I wonder if I could sell my mother on the idea of taking out that little closet and having it be part of my brother's room so he would still have two doors. We could always find other places for that stuff. We have some other closets that don't get much use where the stuff could be moved.

The guy from department of health told me I wouldn't need a permit to remodel; however, I will double check with city hall to make sure. The plumbing and wiring were tampered with by tenants without using an official electrician so we know that is a hot mess. We did have an electrician come out briefly and fix some things. My skinny friend is also able to run wires but an electrician would have to check it and hook it up for it to be officially to code.

I forgot to mention that I plan on only having one sink in the area. The vanity for the bathroom area will double as the rinsing sink for the laundry area (I know it isn't terribly large, but its still better than nothing). There will not be a bathtub and I was thinking of maybe a corner shower. Perhaps a 48x48 if possible but will likely have to be smaller. I'm trying to find out what options are available for showers that will accommodate my brother's girth. He can't even fit in the current shower.

In one of the houses we lived in, the toilet was inside a little room with a bath/shower and the sink was outside like in a hotel/motel.

I also forgot to mention that the back door has a cat door in it so the kitties can go in and out as they please.

I'll have to check the ceiling height. I think its about 10' in most of the house but it might be slightly lower in the laundry area. I'll have to get a ladder or chair to check.

I know I have the actual blueprints for the house *somewhere* but I need to find them.

Knowing my mother, she will want the washer and dryer directly next to one another rather than across. I'm certain we will keep the pedestals. They are good storage and we need the machines lifted up more to make it easier to load things. The ones that are lower down hurt our backs. We currently do tend to fold laundry on top of the machines when we go to fold them. I generally just pull stuff out, shake it out in case it has lint, and fold it without setting it down and then set it in a basket on the floor. But a table for more sorting would be great. It wouldn't have to be even as wide as the one in the diagrams. I'm starting to wonder how feasible it would be to keep the toilet in about the same location and use one of those unifit (is that what they are called?) things for the toilet flange so that the toilet can be bumped away from the wall more (the current one nearly touches the wall) or just move it over and keep it within the same joists. The floor will likely have to be redone anyway bc it is damaged-- but I think I can do that myself (perhaps with help from a friend who recently redid his own floors).

The sewage plumbing all heads West toward the septic tank. I would have to take a look underneath to try to figure out the current configuration. I'm willing to bet that it is not to code (in fact, I think the plumber actually mentioned that the last time he had to fix something but he said it would require some extensive crawling under the house to get the job done). IIRC, he pretty much said the entire plumbing job under the house had been f-ed up by the tenants (I don't know why they messed with the plumbing, but they did) and that it all needed to be redone "eventually".

Something keeps clogging up in a spot in winter and he has to come out at least once a year to clear it so we do need to have it fixed eventually.

I need to figure out what that clear glue is that can be put on even when stuff is wet and that allows the water to be turned on within a couple of minutes after being applied. The pump guy uses that stuff.

Sorry for babbling. My train of thought derailed.

I'll have to find out what the proper configurations are for the order of things in terms of toilet, sink, shower, vent, etc. I've never researched enough to find out how it all works and the physics behind it all, but I really should. I like to know how things work.

Again, thank you very much for the reply and the pictures and feedback. Tomorrow I will try to plot out where all of the plumbing vents are at least on the outside. If its not raining I might be able to use the flashlight app on my new phone and see if I can figure out where everything hooks together under there-- assuming I can squeeze in there and not get my fat ass stuck like last time.

Chris B.

Electrician
Reaction score
Hey suceress,

No problem, I have fun coming up with with these layouts. I'm an amateur but I've spent a lot of time planning out my own project.

I came up with a new layout based around keeping the toilet in the same place, but turning it around. It also shows the existing walls so it makes it easier to picture. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• Laundry_and_bathroom_new_plan_4.jpg
    Laundry_and_bathroom_new_plan_4.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 1,158

Suceress

Reaction score
Thanks!
Coming up with ideas can be fun. I have so many projects in my head and I need to actually get some things done.
That one looks like a possibility. It would make the laundry easier to reach without having to squeeze through the hallway while carrying a basket. We could probably even open the back door to shake things out if they have a lot of dirt on them with that layout.

Now that I look at it I'm not sure on the corner shower. Although I suppose the empty corner could have some sort of storage

I was somewhat inspired by this picture even though I know it wouldn't work for my space given door/window placements.

tumblr_mp02lfBlML1qhfuqwo1_400.jpg

I liked the toilet stall with the window.

I would love to find a way to re-use the existing between-the-studs mirrored medicine cabinet over the sink. If I couldn't set it in the wall I could always build a frame for it and have it stick out a bit.

The southern wall of the existing bathroom will probably be the most challenging because it is where the plumbing and wiring seem to be.

Too bad the toilet sink things are probably prohibitively expensive bc I bet I'd end up with a similar result to this:
b21ce65db98075dadbffe87fbe428963.jpg

If the toilet doesn't end up near a window I'm thinking of having a surround for it like this:
29de318a243b72144e4c36d808407b0d.jpg

It probably wouldn't be that fancy though since I still need to work on my carpentry skills more.

My kitten just pounced on me and made me lose my train of thought.

Suceress

Reaction score
Update: I took photos of the vent pipes but they didn't turn out well because of vines growing. I located a total of three vent pipes. Two were small ones (I'll have to try to measure to see just how small) and one looked to be about 4 inches.

The first smaller one was coming out from under the kitchen sink to the east wall directly under the window. It made a 90 degree turn to go around the window and then went straight up to the roof where it just stopped (nearly touching the soffit).
Here are crappy photos of the vent pipe near the kitchen sink.
tumblr_mp1mdhiLzQ1qkwd9ao5_500.jpg

tumblr_mp1mdhiLzQ1qkwd9ao3_500.jpg

Here is a shot of the roof vent pipe (also a bad quality pic)
tumblr_mp1mdhiLzQ1qkwd9ao4_500.jpg

Here is the largest pipe and how it ends (it comes out from the west side of the house just north of the window to the northwest bedroom)
tumblr_mp1mdhiLzQ1qkwd9ao2_500.jpg

Another shot of the larger vent pipe.
tumblr_mp1mdhiLzQ1qkwd9ao1_500.jpg

Here is a rough floor plan I sketched of the house. Blue marks the bathtubs, toilets, and sinks. There are two bathroom sinks and a kitchen sink as well as three toilets and two bath tubs. I do not know where or if the useless bathroom's sink and shower are tied in or not.
tumblr_mp1l0bOXIP1qkwd9ao1_500.png

I somehow suspect the house is not vented properly. At least we have vents now. When we came back from overseas the tenants had ripped out all of the vents and screwed up our water lines.

Out of curiosity, what would be the proper sizes, order, and distances for these vent pipes? Is it normal to have so few and of such small size?

Last edited:

Suceress

Reaction score
Additional photos: (Click to see larger versions)

This is a shot of the back door and the wall to the bathroom (the square metal thing is the back side of an inset medicine cabinet)

Here is a shot of the bathroom from the doorway. The vanity is currently sitting inside the shower.

Here are the shutoff valves and the cut off pipe (which has electrical tape over it) in the southwest corner of the laundry room (the cardboard is covering floor damage) Is it possible that it was the hookup for a laundry sink at some point? I'm thinking one was hot water, one cold, and the other was the drain?

This shows the plumbing and junk behind the washer and dryer

This is a shot of the laundry room. You can almost see the vent pipe if you know where to look (its sort of obscured by the light). The white wall panel was cut and slapped up because (for reasons unknown to me) the tenants ripped out the wall panels.

That whole area needs some tlc.

Just for fun here is a mock up I made of my house in Sims 3. Ignore the white squares-- they are lighting things for the game to make things visible.

Last edited:

Chris B.

Electrician
Reaction score
I don't know what to say, really. I can't imagine why the vents would ever need to be run on the outside of the house in a single-story building. Without knowing what your abilities are and more specifics on what changes you are making to the layout, I can't really add anything else. At some point you have to make decisions.

Suceress

Reaction score
I've since been told for certain that the vent ending under the soffit is not to code.
Here is a better picture (I pulled the poison oak vines off of it):
tumblr_mp5g90Dh8c1qkwd9ao1_500.jpg

Here is a better shot of how it goes around the window:
tumblr_mp5g74OVed1qkwd9ao1_500.jpg

It has a cleanout at the end-- the pipe came apart and I need to glue it back together underneath the house. The horizontal turn is less than 6" above the sink.
tumblr_mp5g54Zuku1qkwd9ao1_500.jpg

This is the antique vent/light/heater just in front of the shower.
tumblr_mp5ggwNfYc1qkwd9ao1_500.jpg

This is the vanity sitting inside the shower
tumblr_mp5gcw95Gd1qkwd9ao1_500.jpg

This is the laundry room vent pipe that goes up into the attic and through the roof.
tumblr_mp5gb1TnSp1qkwd9ao1_500.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks