Tile subfloor

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by mikefike, Nov 12, 2007.

1. mikefike

mikefike New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    I have removed the flooring in the kitchen to the sub floor which is 1x8" planking on 16" center 2/8" joists nailed at a 45 degree angle to the joists. I have 3/4" height to the adjoing room's hardwood floor. I want to install tile in the kitchen; can I put down 1/2" backer board on the 1/8" flooring which with the tile would get me to the 3/4" height and be stable enough?
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Sep 2, 2004
    Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    New England
    No. The planks will move too much between seasons. A plank floor requires a minimum of 1/2" plywood on top of it, then either a membrane (thinner) or cbu (1/4" is fine), then the tile. The only other alternative is to remove the planks and put down a layer of 3/4" ply. Also, check the overall deflection of the joists to see if they are strong enough for a tile install. A good place to do that is at www.johnbridge.com. Use the "Deflecto" tool in the blue bar of the forum.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. mikefike

mikefike New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Thanks Jim, I suspected that,,,I can live with 1/2" ply with 1/4" backer, I will just put a transition guard in the door way.