Tile behind wall hung vanity?

Users who are viewing this thread

DougB

Reaction score
My wife selected a wall hung vanity that is about 48" long and 24" high. It fastens to the wall with lag bolts.

At first I thought I would tile the wall, and hang the vanity. Considering having to drill through the new, thick, porcelain tile for the bolts / water / drain - maybe I should hang the vanity, then tile around it?

What's your opinion.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
My wife selected a wall hung vanity that is about 48" long and 24" high. It fastens to the wall with lag bolts.

At first I thought I would tile the wall, and hang the vanity. Considering having to drill through the new, thick, porcelain tile for the bolts / water / drain - maybe I should hang the vanity, then tile around it?

What's your opinion.
It would certainly look neater if the tile went behind the vanity. Can't you just tile so just maybe 1/2 inch or so of tile will be under the vanity all along it's perimeter and still be able to use the bolts to secure it to the wall where the tile is not covering it?. I guess that depends on where the holes if any, already are in the vanity intended for mounting it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Diamond core bits will cut holes in nearly anything, and for a couple of holes, you can get by with an el-cheapo as long as you keep it wet while drilling. They take a little finesse to start and keep exactly where you want as most do not come with a center pilot drill. The magic is to hold the drill at about a 45-degree angle, start a divot with the edge of the bit, then slowly rotate the drill to perpendicular with the wall while spraying it with a water bottle. No need to press hard, just let it grind through the tile. Make sure that the hole is larger than the lag bolt, otherwise, the bolt will crack the tile when you insert it.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If the plumbing will not be exposed, I would just leave a couple of tiles out where the pipes go through the wall. No sense spending money on a large diamond bit that you will probably never use again.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tile

One of the worst jobs you will ever want to do is remove a lavatory when the tile was installed around it after it was hung. In fact, if you do not have replacement tiles, it can be IMPOSSIBLE.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks