The wierd gets wierder

Users who are viewing this thread

ronnieray

Reaction score
A week or so ago I posted for advice on a new water heater and based on the advice bought a high efficiency Rheem. We went to install it today and found the existing water heater was installed with the cold water line being installed on the heater's hot water inlet and the hot water line on the heater's cold water side. The previous installer just crossed out cold and wrote hot and vice verse on the hot side. Has anyone ever come across this situation? The heater is 17 1/2 years old.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The thing that differentiates which port is hot verses cold is the location of the dip tube. That tube directs the incoming cold water to the bottom of the tank so you can use the maximum amount of hot otherwise, it mixes at the top and dilutes the hot there. On some tanks, you can swap the dip tube's location. IF that was done, then it's really irrelevant how they are labeled. They may have done it to minimize crossing the piping around and make the install cleaner verses where the gas inlet is. If they did not move the dip tube, then you got short-changed, since the tank would not produce as much hot water as it was capable of.

ronnieray

Reaction score
If that is the case, does anyone know if the dip tube our new Rheem Model XG40S09HE38U0 location can be swapped?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Someone probably does, and you could call them if it isn't covered in the manual. But, if your locale allows it, consider just using corrugated copper supply lines, and not worry about it. Some places require it to be rigid pipe, some require it to be flexible, some don't care.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
One way to tell is to disconnect the intake and see if it has the dip tube. If it's not there, then disconnect the other side. Dip tubes are flared on the top end and they just hang down into the tank. You can use your pinky finger to fish it out, but a visual check would likely be enough.

ronnieray

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. As to the corrugated supply lines, I thought I read on this forum previously that they were problem prone and most of the professionals prefer copper pipe over the corrugated supply lines. Also, if I did go with corrugated supply lines, would it be best to go with stainless steel or copper? I have heard that the copper ones have rubber that tends to deteriorate and cause problems, making the stainless steel ones the preferred choice. Is this true?

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The dip tube is probably integral with the cold water nipple. Just criss cross the copper lines to feed the cold water into the proper side of the heater.

ronnieray

Reaction score
The crossing you suggest is my original plan. But with vent pipe running up the middle, it is going to make for a lot of junctions and soldering. That is the reason the corrugated supply lines is of interest as an alternative. I could make the cut, solder in the threaded adapter and run the lines to the proper sides of the heater.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The corrugated copper lines should not be reused, but work fine. They tend to work harden after being bent into shape, and subsequent removal and trying to bend them to reinstall on a new tank can be problematic. Some of the SS flex ones are actually hoses, and the exterior is for abrasion resistance. An all-metal one should be fine. They will have a gasket at each end, but unlike one that has a rubber coating on the hose, it should not be an issue.

ronnieray

Reaction score
I checked with all the plumbing supply houses in the Twin Cities and none of them carry copper corrugated supply lines. They said that they can order pretty much any brand I want. So is there a particular maker of copper corrugated water heater supply lines that you would recommended for quality and durability based on your experience?

P.S. I just checked Home Depot and they have the Homewerks Worldwide brand? Anyone have any experience with this product.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; none of them carry copper corrugated supply lines.
That is almost an incredible statement. WHAT DO THEY CARRY for connecting water heaters? either you are asking the wrong question or you are asking it at the wrong company. Did you check with Ferguson, because if they do not have them, then your original statement is probably true.

JerryR

Reaction score
P.S. I just checked Home Depot and they have the Homewerks Worldwide brand? Anyone have any experience with this product.

Homewerks Worldwide brand are fine. Just make sure that the ones you select from HD shelf still have the rubber washers. When I last purchased them from HD I found many had missing washers because customers were stealing them.

ronnieray

Reaction score
qoute: That is almost an incredible statement. WHAT DO THEY CARRY for connecting water heaters?

Braided stainless steel according to the city desks at the two larger supply houses in the Twin Cities, Park and Gopher.

Update: Just called Ferguson's and they only have the braided stainless steel.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The braided SS are essentially hoses, at least the ones I've seen. The copper corrugated ones are actually solid copper. SOme have had issues with the hoses. No idea if it is brand specific or local water conditions. I like the idea of metal verses a hose especially on a gas WH where the flue could influence the maximum temperature.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks