Testing new residential waste/ vent system?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Lockwood

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've replaced the entire waste system in my home and currently have the new system plugged at the city's connection and full of water to the top of the lowest vent coming out of the roof in order to test for leaks. I'm losing 1"-2"/day of head in the vent stacks, but can find no leaks in any of the in wall connections. I preformed the same test for just the underground portion of the system before burying it and lost no head over the same time period. I've gone around and burped all the air that I can out of trap arms and cleanout risers and am still losing about the same amount of head over a day's time. It's been hot, in the 90's, where I live during the day, but this seems like more than I should lose to evaporation. Can anyone offer advice?

Thanks,
Ian

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Install a test fitting at the point where the building drain exits the structure and use a test ball to divide the inside piping from the outside. Detetmine if if the inside passes the test. The standard is 10' of head pressure. You can use test fittings and best balls to isolate seperate branches of the system until the leak is found. This testing is nomally done before any traps are installed. If you cover the top of the vent, there should be almost no evaporative loss.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks