Temporary Toilet Install?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rich H

Civil Engineer
Reaction score
I'm remodeling my bathroom and have run into a major snag that is holding up progress. Tub and surround were damaged in shipping - I'm waiting on the replacements. Obviously, I can't finish the drywall, flooring, etc. prior to tub and surround installation. So, my wife and kids are getting very tired of staying at my in-laws, it's just tough with school, work, etc. We only have one bathroom at home. We can make a go of it if I can temporarily install the toilet - so here's what I'm thinking: Install the closet flange flush to the plywood floor, but don't solvent weld the pvc drain pipe to the closet flange. I'm using the new Fernco no-wax toilet seal, it seats down inside the PVC pipe. So I will have a non welded joint between the closet flange and the PVC pipe, but the Fernco seal should prevent leaks there. I'm concerned about getting this thing back apart however - the PVC is a tight fit into the closet flange - would it be ok to put dish soap on this joint and the Fernco rubber seal in order to ease disassembly? Then after finishing the flooring, I can install correctly. FYI - this is NOT my preferred method, I'd rather just tough it out until I can finish this project the right way - I hate doing things like this, but my better half is leaving me little choice. If there is a better way, can someone give me a suggestion or two?

thanks alot! I have learned a ton from this forum, some very helpfull, knowledgeable people on here!

Rich

RRW

Reaction score
Order a "Big John" or whatever they call them in your area and have it spotted behind the house if possible. I used one when I had my sewer line replaced and It cost about $65 a week, I darn near just told them to leave it because it was so handy.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you know the finished height of the floor, you could put a piece(S) of plywood to achieve the proper height on the floor and install the flange at the proper height. If there is a little flex in things, you should be able to either pull it up or push it down enough to anchor it to the new finsihed floor whenever you get to it. Just tack the plywood to the subfloor with screws and use two pieces so you can pull it apart when you need to.

If you have easy access from underneath, and it is pvc, then you could just hook it up, then cut it off and put in new when the time comes as well.

Probably plenty of other methods would work, too.

Rich H

Civil Engineer
Reaction score
I thought of doing that, only using a sacrificial piece of flooring to achieve just the right height. Might go that route - either that or spend the extra 5 bucks for a 3" coupler and a new flange and just zip it off down in the basement and bring it back up to finished floor height. I'm most worried about getting that fernco back out of there - but I could just pry that off the horn right along with the closet flange and cut off pipe! The adhesive they use on that Fernco to attach it to the toilet - I dunno what it is, but wow is it good stuff! I don't want to use a wax ring, I hate the mess and everything that goes with cleaning it up. I just know it's going to be a pain and a mess, that's why I'm dragging my feet....

thanks for the suggestions!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The horn on the toilet can stay, I think. Just pull the toilet, set it on its side so you don't mess up the waxless seal, adjust your flange, then set it back down.

D

dc_homeplumber

A little dishwashing liquid for lubrication won't hurt the Fernco but don't use anything antibacterial because it tends to cause slow deterioration in its undiluted form. I tried recently to reuse a Fluidmaster waxless seal. I did not lubricate the o-rings prior to initial installation. When I pulled the toilet, the o-rings broke as they were coming out of the cast iron drain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks