Tankless water heater clearances

Discussion in 'Tankless Water Heater Forum' started by slodog, Mar 3, 2008.

1. slodog

slodog New Member

I purchased a Powerstar AE115. the manual says no plastic piping within 3 feet of either side. It says nothing about over; below; or behind the unit. Do the sides of the heater really get hot enough to melt plastic? I have PVC condiut above the unit and washer hoses about 10 inches to the side. Will this be acceptable or do I have to relocate the unit? Tony
  2. Lakee911

Lakee911 I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)

I would ask the mfg.

Jason
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

That may pertain to pipes connected to the unit (the cold incoming and hot outgoing pipes). For a normal WH, they want metal within 18" (I think I've got this right now?!).

Your best source is the manufacturer...
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

heater

If the heater is getting hot enough to damage plastic within 3' of either side, you have a VERY inefficient heater which is wasting a lot of heat. In fact if it requires more than a few inches to combustible materials you don't want it.