Tankless system using 100# propane bottle?

Users who are viewing this thread

konasean

Reaction score
My home isn't fitted for gas so, I wanted to know if it was feasible to run a Paloma LP tankless water heater (7.4gpm / 19,000-199,000btu) using a 100 pound propane bottle?

Last edited:

Abel Zyl Zimmerman

Owner of Zyl Vardos
Reaction score
Website
zylvardos.com
I run a small Bosch on 20lb LP tanks. It is rated at 75,000 btu. I am using 3/8" black steel for the gas supply. Everything works fine and has been flawless for 2 years.

If you sized appropriately (regulator and gas supply piping) for your btu, you should be fine.

Larcal

Reaction score
Konasean--it depends on how cold it is around your tank, and how many btu's you are drawing. The smaller the tank(i.e the less gas you have) the warmer it has to be to emit the high btu's of a tankless heater. Even a 5 gallon tank may emit enough btu's to work in cold temps but you'll only be able to use part of the tank before it freezes up. http://www.wardburner.com/tankfreeze.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Larcal

Reaction score
Hi Abel,--Could you tell me at how low a temperature you have been able to totally empty those 5 gallon tanks at your max of 75k btu's? I assume you mean just one tank at a time is being consumed, that you are not linking them together. Thinking about a similiar rugged setup. Thanks

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
My home isn't fitted for gas so, I wanted to know if it was feasible to run a Paloma LP tankless water heater (7.4gpm / 19,000-199,000btu) using a 100 pound propane bottle?

199,000btu would not last very long on a small bottle like that.

You should get a real tank, or use NG.

Larcal

Reaction score
199,000btu would not last very long on a small bottle like that.

You should get a real tank, or use NG.

25 gallons (i.e, 100 lb tank) is 2,300,000 btu's. A good ballpark is 100k/hour to heat water for a shower. If take 10 minute showers thats 16,600 btu per shower or 138 showers per tank. Many people have transport issues. Go without a hot shower for a few years and you might think that tank is real enough.:D

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
25 gallons is 2,300,000 btu's. A good ballpark is 100k/hour to heat water for a shower. If take 10 minute showers thats 16,600 btu per shower or 138 showers per tank. Many people have transport issues. Go without a shower for a few years and you might think that tank is real enough.:D

True that.

You could only shop at Wal-Mart if you go without a shower for a few years.

Then you would be happy to exchange a 5 Gallon tank at WM for $20.00 or so.

I would take a cold shower than none at all.

Years ago people washed in the rivers and creeks and had the sun to warm them.

Brahms

Reaction score
I have the 3.8 gallon Rinnai >>outdoor<< unit running from a 215 gallon LP tank using a high-pressure system. I have 10psi to the house through 3/4 inch underground plastic gas pipe, and then 1/2 inch black iron inside the cabin and through the wall to the unit. Pressure regulator is at the unit. Absolutely no problems with condensation on the pipe, or of getting enough BTUs to the unit even in the coldest weather. There's no reason you can't use a portable tank.

Zl700

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I see you live in Hawaii. Evaporation of the liquid is the concern in the tank to deliver BTU's. Given its warm there Heres some figures,

Good at 35 degrees, 10% fill
Good at 25 degrees 20% fill
Good at 20 degrees 30% fill

I'm sure it will work fine

Larcal

Reaction score
I have the 3.8 gallon Rinnai >>outdoor<< unit running from a 215 gallon LP tank using a high-pressure system. I have 10psi to the house through 3/4 inch underground plastic gas pipe, and then 1/2 inch black iron inside the cabin and through the wall to the unit. Pressure regulator is at the unit. Absolutely no problems with condensation on the pipe, or of getting enough BTUs to the unit even in the coldest weather. There's no reason you can't use a portable tank.

Surely "215 gallon" is a typo. Of course such a large size wouldn't freeze up. Could you clarify please?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks