Tankless and Water Hammer

Users who are viewing this thread

halogen25

Reaction score
I have recently noticed water hammer when my outdoor sprinkler system cuts off. On closer inspection, I found our 6 month old tankless water heater to be the source of the noise. When the sprinklers shut off, there is a clanging from within the heater, and the pressure relief valve on the hot water side emits a small amount of water.

This is clearly a problem. Would the best way to deal with this be to install a pressure regulator in front of the water heater, or am I better off addressing the source of the water hammer? Any suggestions for this?

Thanks in advance for not trashing me for having a tankless. :)

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You need to check the water pressure B4 you do anything.

halogen25

Reaction score
Last I checked, the water pressure of my house is 80 psi. The tankless has a rating up to 150 psi. Are you suggesting that I determine the pressure when it is hammering?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
80# is a little on the high side. You may want to consider installing a PRV.

Average house water pressure is 50-65#. They also have water hammer arrestors that can be installed in line to deal with the hammering.

Tbplumbloco

Reaction score
water hammer

In my local area 80psi would be to high,in my opinion you need a PRV installed where your water supply comes into the house and possibly an expansion tank near the water heater.Water distribution from a municapality
is usually right around 50psi anything above that is harmful to your water piping and faucets.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
tbplumbloco said:
In my local area 80psi would be to high,in my opinion you need a PRV installed where your water supply comes into the house and possibly an expansion tank near the water heater.Water distribution from a municapality
is usually right around 50psi anything above that is harmful to your water piping and faucets.

What harm would 55-65#s do that 50# wouldn't???

halogen25

Reaction score
Mark, I honestly love it. Not a glitch, and an endless supply of hot water, especially when the in-laws visit!

But I realize that this option is not for everyone. We have a small house with very limited square-footage (which we made good use of after evicting the tank), and we put the tankless on the outside of the house right near the bathroom. A bigger house, a second bathroom (with shower), or more plentiful house/garage space would have made this an unwise (and expensive) choice.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
No matter what the average pressure in the system, a large flow suddenly stopped will generate a high-pressure pulse. Although the PRV and expansion tank on the water heater are excellent suggestions in and of themselves, I'd also install a large hammer arrestor right at the sprinkler valve to absorb the high-pressure pulse when the sprinklers shut down. It's likely other fixtures with mechanical shutoffs (e.g., toilets, washing machine) have arrestors near their attach points, but if the sprinkler system was added later, or is attached to a hose bib, there's probably no arrestor associated with it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks