Tank to Bowl Sponge Gasket

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Sergio Garcia, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Sergio Garcia

Sergio Garcia New Member

I would like to know if the material of the sponge gasket that is between the tank and the bowl must to be of natural rubber. If not which other materials can be used.
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

gasket

They come in sponge rubber or hard rubber. The hard ones are more difficult to seal since they need more compression to seal and have to be in better alignment.
  3. plumber1

plumber1 Plumber

They are ready made spud gaskets. It sets between the bowl and the tank. They come in different thicknesses. Some are sponge rubber and some are rubber. Doesnt make a difference. Sponge works well most of the time.
  4. Sergio Garcia

Sergio Garcia New Member

There is a specific Standard in US that makes mandatory a specific type of rubber with some special requirements like toxicity, hardness, chemical resistance?
  5. plumber1

plumber1 Plumber

There may be, but it doesn't mean a dadblame thing to me.