Takagi vs. Rinnai vs. Navien - any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Gadetlady

Reaction score
We recently moved from CA to TX and I want to replace our new home's tank heaters with tankless (gas). In CA, we had Takagi since the early 2000s, so that's all I know. One plumber recommended Rinnai over Takagi, and another came in with a quote for Navien ... and when I asked how much for Rinnai or Takagi he said $2000 more (!!). When I search for tankless heaters without installation, they are below $2000 so I don't know why the difference would be so much (probably won't go with that plumber) but I'm wondering if anyone has any strong feelings or experience one way or another? We have a large house so we need something with a lot of BTUs - I think the max is 199k?

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
I had been to factory trainings on all three brands about 8 years ago, along with Noritz.
The one thing separating Navien from the rest is on the top line NPE A series, the insulated mini tank is built in. None of the others have one, still.
Both Noritz and Navien have built-in pumps.
We only install Navien NPE A series. I like everything about them (including competitive price that had been holding steady at ~$1,600). One thing they have a problem with is the little stupid internal check valve. Infuriating, they have NOT addressed the sticking problem which comes from reaction with chloramine/chlorine (I think). Yes, they pay us plumbers within the first year to do the replacements but it is stupid time waste. Also to note: There was also a rarer, PCB occasional error message and they have paid us to replace those with no cost to customer.
Also, the tech desk rarely talk to homeowners about troubleshooting...understandable, because it tends to be a waste of good tech support hours, but, still, not playing nice.
The check valve is easy, even for a homeowner to do if you watch a video, but, getting them to send one under warranty is tough unless you know what to say.

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
We only install Navien. We sell more than anybody in our state. I guess we like those. I'm still not sold on a tankless water heater, but do what you like.

coolgreany

Reaction score
One thing they have a problem with is the little stupid internal check valve. Infuriating, they have NOT addressed the sticking problem which comes from reaction with chloramine/chlorine (I think).
I have a Navien NPE-180A2. What's the symptoms of a failed check valve?

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
I have a Navien NPE-180A2. What's the symptoms of a failed check valve?
Fluctuating water temperature is the dead giveaway.
In a pinch, the check valve can be pulled, activate the spring head a few times and it can go back into service while waiting for the replacement check to arrive.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks