Symmons mixer valve not enough hot water

Users who are viewing this thread

James Gibbs

Reaction score
I have an old Symmons tub-shower mechanical mixing valve from the 50s or 60s, which is no longer mixing in enough hot water. Hot water to sink and other shower is plenty hot. Flow control spindle is easy to remove and looks OK, but replacement parts for this valve are no longer available. I did replace washers and gaskets when that kit was still available, and the valve seals well and has plenty of flow. Would enlarging some of the flow holes in the spindle increase the hot water? Any other possible fix without new parts? I'd sure prefer to stay with this valve at least a little longer rather than removing wallpaper and wallboard to install new valve, which might be quite a job with the old pipes

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
What model do you have?
I found pre 1960 symmons mixing valve parts online.

Last edited:

James Gibbs

Reaction score
No model number. Symmons specs say identify by dial on valve, which says "TUB-SHOWER VALVE". Same model also had a dial that said "MON-O-MIXER. Spindle number is shown as TS-4. Spec sheet says these were made from 1948-56.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Many of these valves have a high temperature limit adjustment. IN much of the USA, last week was quite cold, and it could just be that the limiter needs to be moved to let more hot water come in. In some, it's a screw stop, in others, it's a cam, or a moveable stop.

James Gibbs

Reaction score
Thanks. Yes, I think this is the one. I've bought stuff from Chicago Faucet Shoppe before and am not far from their parts store, so maybe I could bring mine in to compare and be sure. Very pricey because apparently not available elsewhere, so I'd want to be pretty sure a new cartridge assembly would do the trick. Do you know if that usually fixes the mixing problem? They also show a replacement valve seat. Could it be part of the problem?

James Gibbs

Reaction score
Many of these valves have a high temperature limit adjustment. IN much of the USA, last week was quite cold, and it could just be that the limiter needs to be moved to let more hot water come in. In some, it's a screw stop, in others, it's a cam, or a moveable stop.

Thanks. This is an old mon-o-mix model that doesn't have a limit adjustment. It's not been delivering enough hot water even when the weather is not cold.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks