Sweat connections near Moen Exacttemp valves

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by WendyH, May 5, 2010.

1. WendyH

WendyH New Member

It's time to rough in the valves for the new multihead shower. The valves (1 thermostatic, 3 volume) are female threaded. We plan to sweat adapters onto pipe before screwing the adapters into the valves. However, this is a complex system in limited space, so the next connection (an elbow) may be only an inch away from one of the male adapters. How much will this heat the threaded connection? How bad is this? Moen says to go ahead and solder around the valve without removing the cartridge. Should I trust them? I'm really most worried about damaging the tape and screwing up the integrity of the threaded join. I can't really move the sweated joins farther away from the valve unless I want the therm valve and the volume valves to end up several feet apart, which would be awkward to say the least.

This is all so much easier when I'm drafting the designs.
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

In many cases, when I do a system like this which has threaded valves, I connect them together with brass nipples, tees, and elbows. The use the sweat joints to connect the water lines to them.