Swanstone Shower Pan - Problems?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I am looking at re-doing 2 showers (in a big 3 bathroom project) and I have two contractors bidding.

One contractor wants to put Swanstone shower pans in both (a corian type material?) and the other guys says that Swanstone is a poor product because of "thermal issues" with cracking at the drain being common. Is there any truth to this?

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
With any shower pan, if it isn't installed so that there is essentially no flex, then the material will generate stress cracks. The subfloor needs to be either perfectly flat (rare), along with the receptor, otherwise, over the years, the repeated stress will cause cracks. This can happen in an improperly installed tiled shower as well. One way to compensate is to embed the pan in mortar that evens things out and lets you get it perfectly level (essential to get the doors to fit properly along with the walls and enables it to drain properly).

Check out www.johnbridge.com for some insight...they have a lot more activity on showers.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks