Superficial scratches on pex

Users who are viewing this thread

Shoes

Reaction score
I apologize if this is a common question, and I did do a little digging - but could not find an answer directly.

For the pros: If you have a very minor, light scratch on the outside of a pex tube (3/4 in my case) - is it a concern? A very superficial scratch. It is from lightly rubbing on a fixture as I was pulling it. It is as light as it can be while still being permanent (I know it is hard to quantify this without a picture).

If you have light-use scratches on a pipe, do you use them?

Shoes

Last edited:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
it depends on what kind of fittings you are useing.... I have had fits with pex with scratches on
the outside of the pipe because I used a sharkbite fitting and it leaked through the scratch....
this pipe was pretty shop worn but it can happen with sharkbites.......

if you are doing a barbed fitting that goes inside the pipe then it really dont matter...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks